lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16 no compression

What the heck is that thing pretending to be the oil cap?

It looks like it allowed the oil to be sprayed all over the engine. I'm wondering if the low oil warning light is working. Probably not.

The engine runs out of oil, the rod seizes to the crank and breaks.

You can get the engine front cover off without removing the engine but you should remove the engine to repair it.
The primary clutch has to come off and since you have it off I would frisbee it in to the trash can.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2022, 06:51 AM   #12
wcarl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
What the heck is that thing pretending to be the oil cap?

It looks like it allowed the oil to be sprayed all over the engine. I'm wondering if the low oil warning light is working. Probably not.

The engine runs out of oil, the rod seizes to the crank and breaks.

You can get the engine front cover off without removing the engine but you should remove the engine to repair it.
The primary clutch has to come off and since you have it off I would frisbee it in to the trash can.
I have no idea who made the oil cap haha, this thing is a mess, but i am determined to fix it. I will pull the engine and take a look. So I am guessing that clutch is not a good one haha.
wcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #13
junx69
Not Yet Wild

Another option to consider is doing a V-twin engine upgrade. The Predator 22hp from Harbor Freight along with Vegascarts kit is a popular option. Their kit includes a new clutch so compare cost when you start adding up parts to rebuild the stock engine. Coud be a better ROI to upgrade.
junx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx69 View Post
Another option to consider is doing a V-twin engine upgrade. The Predator 22hp from Harbor Freight along with Vegascarts kit is a popular option. Their kit includes a new clutch so compare cost when you start adding up parts to rebuild the stock engine. Coud be a better ROI to upgrade.
Not true. A golf cart with the stock engine and stock system is always worth more money and sells faster than a cart with a swap motor of any kind in it. Swapping an engine is like modifying a car. You will almost never get back out of it what you put into it.

V twin or clone engine is fun yes. Makes a lot of power. But it loses appeal for a lot of people when it’s done.

Besides you can get a 402 motor from plowmans that will drop right in and retain all of the “stock” noise levels and functionality. Probably for less $ than a vtwin and vegas kit
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:52 PM   #15
wcarl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I've got a good piston and rod, new OEM standard rings and a crank if you need them...
Thank you, if i need them i will let you know. We can work out payment and shipping if my parts are bad. Next week I will pull the rest of the motor apart, I will let you know if I need those. Thank you again.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #16
junx69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Not true. A golf cart with the stock engine and stock system is always worth more money and sells faster than a cart with a swap motor of any kind in it. Swapping an engine is like modifying a car. You will almost never get back out of it what you put into it.

V twin or clone engine is fun yes. Makes a lot of power. But it loses appeal for a lot of people when it’s done.

Besides you can get a 402 motor from plowmans that will drop right in and retain all of the “stock” noise levels and functionality. Probably for less $ than a vtwin and vegas kit
Correct if OP is repairing it to sell but thats not been discussed here. Im simply comparing cost of rebuilding vs cost of an upgrade. That includes the 402 from Plowmans which aint cheap and not readily available. I know because Im on the waiting list

BTW, might want to check those prices again especially now that HF is back to doing coupons. 402 engine starts at $1799, add $500 if you want a stage 2 kit (which I do!)
junx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Correct if OP is repairing it to sell but thats not been discussed here. )

Sorry, I must have misunderstood? I was just correcting the point you brought up. Last I checked, ROI means “return on investment”. Which means investing money into something with the intentions of selling, generally for a profit.

Quote:
. Coud be a better ROI to upgrade.

And if you’re specifically talking cost or fixing vs an engine swap, I’ve rebuilt a lot of golf cart engines. I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than a couple hundred bucks in parts. Still a whole lot less $ than just the vegas carts clutch, let alone the rest of the kit and a motor
Old 04-26-2022, 09:19 PM   #18
wcarl
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone know the correct clutch removal tool for this type of clutch? I do not know the brand of this after market one. The tool i bought is for a stock yamaha clutch and does not seem to thread right. I don't want to mess it up, any info would be appreciated.

I am not trying to fix the cart to sell it, I do not want to buy a new motor and put it in. This is a learning experience for me, I don't have a background in any type of engine repair but I am really enjoying what I have learned so far.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:42 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarl View Post
This is a learning experience for me, I don't have a background in any type of engine repair but I am really enjoying what I have learned so far.
That’s all that matters. It’s a fun hobby

As for the clutch, can’t really help you there unfortunately. Are you trying to save the clutch and reuse it or replace it?
Old 04-26-2022, 09:56 PM   #20
wcarl
Not Yet Wild

well I would like to reuse it for the time being, however if I cant i will get a new one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha