lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #11
philofab
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Coil Grounding on 88 EZGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
That's what I tried, this thing is REALLY on there - I'm wondering if the guy who did the rebuild used the wrong woodruff key and bound it up good, I just tried pulling it again and actually snapped one of the bolts (thank god above the threads so I could still get it out)
I assume you have the motor out. You may wish to use a little heat to help expand the flywheel while the puller has tension on it. If you do this you will need to replace the crank seal. Also be careful to keep the heat away from the engine case so as not to damage the pulsar wires.
philofab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The motor is still in there or I'd give that a shot ... I had a buddy drop off a 3-bolt puller tonight, looks like it'll work using the bolt holes from the fan (at least it'll give me better leverage and stay centered on the crankshaft better, the 2-bolt puller likes to twist, especially with those little 8mm bolts) - gonna try that tomorrow after work, otherwise I'm running it to a local small-engine shop, they said they'd pull it for $15 (which doesn't sound bad until you factor in the hour or so it'll take me to get the trailer emptied, etc!)

If the pulsar and wires look OK, off it goes to the EZGO shop :(
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
philofab
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
The motor is still in there or I'd give that a shot ... I had a buddy drop off a 3-bolt puller tonight, looks like it'll work using the bolt holes from the fan (at least it'll give me better leverage and stay centered on the crankshaft better, the 2-bolt puller likes to twist, especially with those little 8mm bolts) - gonna try that tomorrow after work, otherwise I'm running it to a local small-engine shop, they said they'd pull it for $15 (which doesn't sound bad until you factor in the hour or so it'll take me to get the trailer emptied, etc!)

If the pulsar and wires look OK, off it goes to the EZGO shop :(
I use a steering wheel puller with grade 10.8 bolts from the local hardware store. The pullers center fits over the oil pump grove without damaging it.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

What year cart is yours - mine has a smooth end on the crankshaft ... Even tried using a snall chunk of pipe to keep it centered (cut it down like a bushing and used the flywheel nut backed off a few turns to hold it in place - that's when I snapped the sh*t bolt!)
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
philofab
Not Yet Wild

The cart is a 1985. Sometimes the end gets broken off and that is why there is no oil injection.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I used an old half inch socket to protect the end of the crankshaft, although if you don't care about using the oil pump ever again you probably don't care about mashing the slotted end.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO !!!!!! Finally got the G$%^#^# flywheel off, and the pulsar is MANGLED !!!! (Never thought I'd be so happy to see something BROKEN!)

OK, I'll stop hollerin' now :)

As you can see, somehow the pulsar got mangled (probably when the guy who owned the cart did the rebuild, as I found out last weekend that the intermittent spark thing was happening to him too before he sold the cart) - I ordered a new one and it looks like *hopefully* my troubles are over once it arrives!

Thanks to all for the help and ideas along the way, I went into this project awhile ago with *zero* knowledge on these carts and now I have become (almost too) familiar with just about every part of them - all in all a great project (providing the pulsar solves the problems)

One last question, the magnet assembly on the flywheel seems to be "off centered" but there's no room for adjustment, I'd assume that's designed to bring the magnet points into close proximity for the pulsar to read, but I just want to be sure
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #18
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yep i,d say that has seen better days..............more than likely saved yourself a pants load of ching-ching also....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I wish it would have saved me money ... On the way to finding the smashed Pulsar, I replaced the coil - solenoid - regulator - keyswitch - accel switch - all wiring on the front end - HEI conversion - "BBQ'd" the muffler - rebulit carb - new fuel pump - plug and wire ...

NOW, onto the best part, the new pulsar won't be here til tuesday, and at least here at MY house, that kind of delay JUST won't do, so I carefully (with a channel lock, vice grip, superglue, and epoxy) managed to realign the pulser body and plate and mount it (?) correctly again - and I've been tearing around the property for an hour now, the cart starts and runs better than EVER, hahahahaha ...
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #20
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I wish it would have saved me money ... On the way to finding the smashed Pulsar, I replaced the coil - solenoid - regulator - keyswitch - accel switch - all wiring on the front end - HEI conversion - "BBQ'd" the muffler - rebulit carb - new fuel pump - plug and wire ...

NOW, onto the best part, the new pulsar won't be here til tuesday, and at least here at MY house, that kind of delay JUST won't do, so I carefully (with a channel lock, vice grip, superglue, and epoxy as well as some creative carving and shaving with a carpet knife) managed to realign the pulser body and plate and mount it (?) correctly again - and I've been tearing around the property for an hour now, the cart starts and runs better than EVER, hahahahaha ...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO