lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: shorter belt problems

Just a question, is the top width of the shorter belt
the same as stock?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

From what i remember,its' the same width,just shorter.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

same width, just shorter. I just pulled my driven clutch and it is apparently not a stock clutch. No snap ring to remove to disassemble just a set screw with the housing pressed on. I beleive this to be a comet driven clutch and that may be why i am having a problem. The only solution i can see is to pull the clutch apart and shim the shaft about 1/4 inch so the clutch cannot open so far. I removed the set screw, but cannot get the clutch apart. Spray some pb on it letting it sit.
bbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #24
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Did anyone find a solution yet? I have an 86 with the same problem. I measured the new short belt and it is actually wider than the worn stock belt. I thought maybe the buttons in the driven clutch might be worn, allowing it to open too far. I know that if you run that way for long, the belt ends up like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02446.jpg (128.7 KB, 11 views)
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #25
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

nomo, i have been talking to a lot of the guys here on the forum and have come to a conclusion. The guys running the shorter belt with no issues have the OEM ezgo driven clutch. This is the clutch with with the snap ring on the end that you remove to disassemble it. The guys like myself that are having problems with the shorter belt all have the comet driven clutch. This is the clutch with the allen head set screw that you remove to disassemble the clutch. I am willing to bet you as well have the comet clutch, let me know if you do. Tomorrow i am picking up an OEM ezgo driven clutch and will let you know the results.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #26
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you guys ever tried using the driven clutch of a 2 stroke Marathon? I use that in my 1996 4-stroke Workhorse and I am very happy with it! Good acceleration and very good good top speed. Get hold of one and try it.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #27
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

alright guys, here's the verdict. Just put on a brand new OEM EZGO driven clutch and the shorter dayco hp 3004 belt. I am happy to say all of the problems are gone. So if you are having this issue change out your comet clutch for an oem clutch
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #28
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gald to see it worked. How much did you have to pay for that clutch? Looks like I will have to change clutchs to
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #29
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Tim,
This is the one I used and was the best price I could find,
http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-845...2cy-76-88.aspx
if you use the order code BG WILD you get 5% off and free shipping.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #30
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrazil View Post
nomo, i have been talking to a lot of the guys here on the forum and have come to a conclusion. The guys running the shorter belt with no issues have the OEM ezgo driven clutch. This is the clutch with with the snap ring on the end that you remove to disassemble it. The guys like myself that are having problems with the shorter belt all have the comet driven clutch. This is the clutch with the allen head set screw that you remove to disassemble the clutch. I am willing to bet you as well have the comet clutch, let me know if you do. Tomorrow i am picking up an OEM ezgo driven clutch and will let you know the results.
I don't think the driven clutch on mine is the comet brand. It looks just like the one in the link:

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-845...2cy-76-88.aspx

I have had it apart before, it's just like the picture. I'm still betting that the buttons are worn allowing the plates to open wider than necessary. I'd like to see if the buttons are available first before I purchase the whole thing.
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO