lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
cart newbee
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default back with new problems...

Hey guys , been gone for awhile but finally made it back. I started my '83 gas rebuild last fall , but got kicked out of the garage by mama when it got to cold for her car to set outside. When it started warming up , the mighty Mississippi decided to flood every thing around here. But this week my son and I got the cart back out and got it going. The engine has top and bottom rebuild , new carb , new coil , new ignition switch and new F & R switch . Hope to get some pics soon. The cart started right up and ran great. But now , it seems like its not getting fuel. It will start then sputter and die after going a few feet. Then start right back up and do it again and again. leaning towards fuel pump. Going to pull pump off next day off and see if I can find anything there. Anything else I should look for? Thanks guys.
cart newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: back with new problems...

check exhaust make sure its not plugging up......disconncect it from the engine and move it back an inch see if cart runs......if so time for mufflar barbaque.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
cart newbee
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Shadowman. Will do.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If loosening the bolts between the exhaust pipe and the muffler does not get the cart running then I would look to the fuel pump itself. (I note that you do not list this as having been replaced already). It is possible that the diaphragm just got brittle in the cold of winter and then cracked as soon as you fired it up. Now for a paragraph of warning.
This is what happened to me. The diaphragm cracked which allowed fuel to fill the crankcase. The first sign was fuel dripping out of the exhaust pipe under the engine. Without thinking I tried to start the engine to get it out of the garage but the starter motor would just stall out. Eventually it started and ran very badly. I subsequently discovered that the excess fluid in the crankcase caused so much pressure that it blew one of the crankshaft seals out. The moral of the story is if you have a cracked diaphragm and you see gas under the cart, do not start the engine.
Of course if you did not replace the crankshaft seals during the rebuild then that is a different tale.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

never underestimate the ability of each and every jet in your carb to plug up for apparently no reason (or, if the cart was rebuilt, etc after sitting for any length of time and the fuel lines weren't ENTIRELY replaced, then plugging for a very good reason) ...

I had to pull and clean my carb several times in the first month after the "resurrection" - it was frustrating as hell but the jets just kept finding every particle of everything leftover in the fuel system.

Also, another common issue after sitting is that the fuel pickup tube in the tank can leak air around the area where it exits the tank (it's just a pressfit and gets brittle) - might not hurt to pull it and clean it up, possibly even reseat it with a little epoxy to ensure you're not pulling air and compromising the fuel delivery
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
morey2213
Not Yet Wild

I have to agree with BrewCityMusic, I just had the same problem ! My needle was stuck closed from sitting . I quick cleaning should fix that problem ! Good luck !
morey2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
cart newbee
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dave I think I might have the same problem that you had. I installed a clear fuel line from the pump to the carb. When the cart was running, it barely pumped any gas to the carb. Then I let it set and the fuel line began to fill up with gas. I unhooked the fuel line going to the pump and clamped it off. I guess my next move is to order a new pump. Thanks for all the help to Dave and all the others on all the info.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO