lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
woodside
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 91 Club Car Won't Crank

I can't get it to crank. When I push the pedal I hear the solenoid click. I have 12v to the 2 small terminals and the big red one. When I push the pedal I get about 4 volts on the big white wire. The 10 amp fuse is good. I'm thinking it's the solenoid but I'm no expert. It's the weekend so my local CC dealer is closed and I won't be able to get parts today if it is in fact the solenoid. Thanks.
woodside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 91 Club Car Won't Crank

you can put cart in maintence mode and try jumping large post on solenoid.............if cart cranks over replace solenoid even a clicking solenoid can be bad...............if not check your battery and load test it.........takes a few minutes and dosn,t cost anything even if you think its good check it...........if battery checks out then pull a few of the rubber inspection boots on starter and check brushes....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
woodside
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I will try that. When you say jump the solenoid you mean from the red to white (the two large ones)?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes jump the 2 large post on solenoid...........................
Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
woodside
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It didn't crank when I jumped the solenoid. Battery is good. It may be the starter. Would that explain the low voltage on the starter side (yellow) of the solenoid? Possibly drawing too much current?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m not certain but i would pull some rubber boots and look at brushes, have you load tested the battery?................................
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
woodside
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I pulled the yellow wire off the solenoid and pressed the pedal and got 12 volts. Put it back on and the highest I got was 5v. I also noticed the yellow wire was heating up and I could smell something getting hot. I pulled a couple rubber boots and removed the brushes. To me they don't look too bad. What exactly should I look for and will my local CC dealer sell replacement brushes or do I need a whole new starter if I determine that is the cause? Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no you can buy just brushes dealer should have them.......................
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
woodside
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help. Picked up the new brushes and now its cranking fine. While I had the starter off I noticed the short black wire on the bottom looked like it had gotten hot (I'm sure that's what I was smelling when I was trying to start it over and over). I didn't even realize it was there until I had the starter off. I checked the wire with an ohm meter to make sure it was still ok and it was. Then I checked the connections and the one on the bottom of the starter was bad so I pulled the nut and cleaned it up and retested and it was ok. So more than likely that was the problem? But either way it's running now and it has new brushes. Is that just a ground wire on the bottom of starter?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside View Post
Thanks for the help. Picked up the new brushes and now its cranking fine. While I had the starter off I noticed the short black wire on the bottom looked like it had gotten hot (I'm sure that's what I was smelling when I was trying to start it over and over). I didn't even realize it was there until I had the starter off. I checked the wire with an ohm meter to make sure it was still ok and it was. Then I checked the connections and the one on the bottom of the starter was bad so I pulled the nut and cleaned it up and retested and it was ok. So more than likely that was the problem? But either way it's running now and it has new brushes. Is that just a ground wire on the bottom of starter?
The A1 terminal black wire on the left end of the starter (viewed from rear of cart) is a ground. You may be looking at the A2 / F1 which is an internal starter loop. Check it here ; http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-diagrams.html

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car