lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
kj1999_us
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 89 Club Car Gas Motor Blown up

Hey guys i have an a 89 Club Car that i let get low of oil and it has now chunked a rod i guess. The question i have is that the motors are so expensive to rebuild so I'm wanting to put a bigger and different motor in it thats a reasonable price. I've been looking at a Predator motor they sell at Harbor Frieght and was wondering how big of a headache it is to swap motors out and how to go about setting it back up to run. I have seen a couple of pics with them in the carts. I only gave $300 for the cart and it ran good until this. Any info on what is involved in the swap and what parts to use would be helpful. Just trying to decide if I want to fix it or just get rid of the whole mess. Thanks.
kj1999_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 89 Club Car Gas Motor Blown up

Seems like you are in luck since your cart has a CCW rear end meaning the clone spins the right way with the rear end. Tons of people here have done the swap with great success. Lots of people will say do it and don't look back. I haven't personally done it but I am leaning that way recently.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

KJ, I too have been leaning that way. Go to the Big Block section on here and they have tons of info. From what I have read it really isn't a huge swap. I guess it all boils down to how good at fab and turning wrench's you are.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
kj1999_us
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well I'm a machinist by trade so maybe it shouldn't be too bad. I was just wondering what all had to be modified in order for it to work and what had to be fabricated.
kj1999_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think on the predator not much maybe the motor cradle will need a hole drilled here and there differently. But with your skills and the tooling avaliblitie you should be fine. Just take a look at the other thread "Big Block" those guys have all done it and can tell you everything. I think you have to change the throttle cable stuff maybe.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car