lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
optikid
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: waterproofing the motor

how big of a boat is it?
im glad i have a beach cat
optikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #22
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikid View Post
how big of a boat is it?
im glad i have a beach cat
22' Santana. 1270 pound keel, sleeps four, super sturdy. Lots of beach hobies here, great boat. We keep a 14 foot Barnett down here as well, but the santana is my baby. I can load it up with people and there is a neat island about 15 miles away with thousands of sea lions.
santanateek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #23
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Not to completely derail the waterproofing idea, but I don't think that the cart will be able to pull a 1270 pound anything out of the water, especially if the cart is basically underwater, or even be able to push the boat back into the water. As deep as you need to be, the water is an extreme resistor. I have seen jeeps get pulled down in the water with small ski boats on a ramp and have to tow them out of the water. Not that it is impossible for the motor/guts to pull the boat, I just think the physics are not there on anything but perfectly flat ground, but if you pull this off, I want to see pictures!!!!!

One idea though, could you build basically a fiberglass box around the motor with some air space, you can run wires through a couple holes and easily silicone them to keep water out, but for a brief time I would think you could get launched and not overheat the motor, or even build in a snorkel of sorts with some PVC or even flexible pipe to let the box breath. At least a thought, overheating may be the least of your worries when you are sitting on an electric cart in saltwater....
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyluke View Post
Not to completely derail the waterproofing idea, but I don't think that the cart will be able to pull a 1270 pound anything out of the water, especially if the cart is basically underwater, or even be able to push the boat back into the water. As deep as you need to be, the water is an extreme resistor. I have seen jeeps get pulled down in the water with small ski boats on a ramp and have to tow them out of the water. Not that it is impossible for the motor/guts to pull the boat, I just think the physics are not there on anything but perfectly flat ground, but if you pull this off, I want to see pictures!!!!!
I've seen the same thing happen. Difference is that's on a ramp, whereas this is nearly flat. Also, that's the tow vehicle losing traction (you won't see this happen with a 4wd), but traction shouldn't be an issue with plenty of weight on the back wheels, hard-packed sand, and paddle tires. I do this now on the same beach with a quad launching jet-skis, a smaller sail boat, and a 15 foot inflatable with a heavy engine, and that just has regular knobby tires, not paddle. I suppose the only way I'm going to know will be once I try it. I will say that I've pushed a lot of heavier things around with electric carts before (granted on dry flat concrete), and it always surprises people how well carts can push a load. All that torque pays off. I will post a lot of pictures. When I do the first launch I'm going to video it, so I'll post a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyluke View Post
One idea though, could you build basically a fiberglass box around the motor with some air space, you can run wires through a couple holes and easily silicone them to keep water out, but for a brief time I would think you could get launched and not overheat the motor, or even build in a snorkel of sorts with some PVC or even flexible pipe to let the box breath. At least a thought, overheating may be the least of your worries when you are sitting on an electric cart in saltwater....
Not a bad idea, thanks. Part of my thinking with glassing in the motor is that it would help with the rust prevention on the parts (assuming it stays dry inside). But a snorkel/vent might be the best of both. Hmmm....
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
DBallin69
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I think its awesome what your trying to do. If know one ever tried to do something different wed all be riding stock carts and be bored. Please post pics Id love to see how your doing this. I dont think the motor would overheat with only being run for a 1/2 mile. You could always make a fiberglass tube with a small fan that goes to the frame 5ft off the original frame to help cool the motor. Just like the snorkels gas engines use. Good luck man keep it up and keep us posted on how its going.
DBallin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

http://db.tt/tNKZMRrz
Still a bit rough but here it is. The batteries are going in a box in the passenger seat. I've rewired the whole thing, will finish off the wiring in the next day or two. The seat is so high I had to build a little ladder onto a two by four that I attached, but is not pictured here. Also, you'll see the steering wheel isnt attached to the column yet, I'm saving that until Im sitting up there for the right fit. Being so high up it feels unnerving. The sway of the suspension is amplified, but I'm not going to be going over any big bumps on this so it is ok. Fiberglassing in the motor is the next step, then it'll be off to its first sea trial next month. Also not pictured here is the brake cable, which I extended with a pulley. More pictures to come.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Can't hot link to that site.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #28
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Way old thread but wondering if you ever made it work?

What about a long winch or tow strap?
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha