lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Trouble with my Workhorse

All I did was change the gen/starter belt (and it's not over tight) and now I get this soft... yee yee yee yee, when traveling slow to half throttle, sounds like it's in the drive train, but does it in neutral too.

Now sitting here thinking about it, I did have the drive belt off and wonder if I put it back on in the same direction, think it could have worn in a way that the opposite direction could cause this?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
kangaroo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trouble with my Workhorse

Starter belt should have half-inch play only. Try tightening it a bit.
kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hope you get it figured out SB.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a noise that just recently started after a motor wash that wasn't there before. It was coming from the starter/gen but didn't sound too bad. Like a bearing just starting to go out. Pulled belt and spinning forward you could hear it but not backwards. Pulled it off and apart and it turned out to be a brush just making a small noise. Pull the drive belt off and see if it's still there?
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
dan161
Getting Wild

I have a squeeling noise coming from my engine as well. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I tried taking the starter belt off and the starter runs forward and backwards just as freely as could be. Put the belt back on without drive belt on and i can here it very plainly at very low rpm but not able to pinpoint where its coming from. I don't know that you can really overtighten the belt as mine is very tight. Let us know if you figure it out so we can try the same things. Good luck.
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

dan, your belt may be too tight causing a bearing in the SG to squeal.. If you back off some, does it go away ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Thanks guy's and kgsc is right on, I got out there this morning pulled the drive belt (thanks dave) and the noise was still there. remembering back in my old flathead days you cant tighten a belt on a gen like on a alt.

There is a sweet spot btwn making noise and slipping when you start it though, maybe worn bearing too.

Sorry for the late response but I spent the day yesterday in the bowels of Detroit.. good to be back alive.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO