lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
broakshores
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Separating crank case on 1984 Ez-Go 2 stroke Robin engine.

Hi. New guy here.

One of the two bolts that keeps the crankcase sealed as well as fastens the starter bracket to the engine broke. I bought the cart like this and want to fix it.

Additionally I think the crankshaft seal might be leaking so I want to replace that as well as anything else the good people here recommend while I have this thing torn down.

Right now I'm stuck. The 4 of 5 bolts with heads I can get to are out but I'm unable to separate the crankcase. I'm assuming only 1/2 of the case is threaded. Is there a trick?

Thanks for any help.

Mike.
broakshores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Separating crank case on 1984 Ez-Go 2 stroke Robin engine.

Just to be sure, have you removed the cylinder, the clutch and the flywheel?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
broakshores
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi. Thanks for quick reply. Clutch was off. Cylinder was off. Flywheel NOT off. Looks old and brittle so didn't want to push my luck.

I got it separated about 3/4" which was enough to reach in with vice grips and twist out the broken bolt. After that I pressed it back together. Hopefully I haven't damaged it any more than it was. The folks that had this before me did not treat it well.

While putting the cylinder back on I broke one of the two compressions rings. :<
broakshores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You said in your first post that you needed to change the crankshaft seal. There is also another one behind the flywheel. I would strenuously recommend that you change both as they will have had the same amount of wear. Removing the flywheel requires a two arm steering wheel puller and two long M6 bolts. If you decide to do it and need help, just shout out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

When you install the front seal you might want to peen over the metal on the crankcase around the seal to keep it from popping out - I didn't and mine popped back out when it backfired :-(
panelbeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO