lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
rdking
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley With Electronic Ignition?

I have an 82 model D3. Someone along the way has replaced the point/condensor with what I assume to be electronic, a nylon module with 2 wires that go to the coil, instead of just one. My question is has anyone heard of this switch? Would there any other wiring changes?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Harley With Electronic Ignition?

Nylon module? Can you get some pics?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
rdking
Not Yet Wild

I have put it back together, but I will try to describe it, the best I can. Instead of where the points and condenser would be, there is a little rectangle box that has a blue wire and black wire that goes to the coil. The box looks like it's probably made of nylon, and it is attached to a round mounting plate that fits somewhat snug and has a hole big enough in the center to slip over the attachment with one screw on top and one on bottom, if these are loose there will be no fire at the spark plug. On the shaft that normally would turn to open and close the points there is a out of round attachment that looks to be pressed on the shaft and made of the same material as the rectangle box.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I don't think those are made now. I have two that I had intended to use on an outboard motor. If I can find them I will post a brand name and how to use them.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
rdking
Not Yet Wild

Thanks tew, I would be interested in purchasing one from you if you wanted to sell. Mine has some numbers that end in 96, assuming thats when it was made.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

What I have is an Atom Electronic Ignition module. I don't think it will work on your HG. I think these were for small engine magneto systems. I know my units will not work for they are fore outboard engines. What color is the module you have. Mine is red. Check and see if there id some writing on the one you have.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
rdking
Not Yet Wild

As soon as I can, I'm still dealing with a broke leg.
Thanks,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Does the engine run now and has it ever run with the module on ot that you know of?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

I believe you will find the mod is original the later ones didn't have points. If I recall correctly it was a white plastic piece with a wire coming out. (ignition trigger)
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
rdking
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, soon after acquiring this 82 model D3 I ordered an tune-up kit for it and it came with points/condenser. It wouldn't start so after a couple days of head scratching I found that this module where the points should be had loose screws, tightened them up and it fired. Do you know if this plastic module (electronic ignition) is available to buy?

Still have no reverse, the solenoid just clicks. Possibly the ignition switch? It has the forward/reverse in it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson