lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2009 Yamaha Drive Lost All Power

So my 2009 drive has 2 year old batteries that are fully charged and reading over 50V fully charged. I noticed the last few weekends at the lake it didnt seem to have the normal power to get up hills etc. This past weekend it started making a different noise from the rear and than nothing. The solenoid clicks but nothing. How can I tell if my motor is shot or if it is the controller? I would like to try the repair myself. FYI my reverse alarm has never worked, perhaps it is unhooked. Please help!
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Half Vast
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 Yamaha Drive Lost All Power

Recently had a similar issue with my 2011 YDRE with noise coming from the rear. Cart would move but make noise while pedal was pressed. Let off the pedal, and the noise went away. Here's what I did to help solve it on my cart, with the assistance of cgtech:

Place cart in tow mode and push. No noise.

Jack up rear of cart, place on blocks. Spin the wheels by hand (both in same direction) and check for noise. No noise.

Place cart in run, and press pedal, ensuring both wheels spin in same direction. I heard grinding noise until I released the pedal then no noise. For me, this pointed to the motor being bad; likely brushes and commutator damage. Had to purchase new motor. Got from Don Plowman, site sponsor. Installed it and all is well. Cart moves out nicely, extra torque and speed.
My controller and solenoid are stock.

This may not fix your cart but it may help narrow down what's wrong. Good luck.
Half Vast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 Yamaha Drive Lost All Power

I was at the lake this weekend and brought it home to try and figure it out. I can push it around with no resistance. Solenoid continuously sounds like it’s humming after the initial click when I hold down the pedal? Does anyone know what is wrong? If I need a new motor what do you recommend? I really have no idea on how to figure out what is wrong. No response in forward and reverse and like I said it seemed to just lose power the other weekend with a kind of whining noise from the rear. Battery pack is good
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha