lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2020, 02:21 AM   #1
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile F/R Contactors vs Rotary Switch on TXT

I have installed a few new boards on the F/R Rotary Switch on my 1998 TXT since new. They burn up. They also get hard to use after a while. I serviced it and kept them clean. The issue is it is the OEM type. Old technology. I have modified every other part of the system. 50% more amperage and significantly higher loads than the stock unit was designed for. I bought a the SW182(2006 Alltrax 350/400Amp AXE) from cartsunlimited.com and it has changed everything. With the flip of the rocker switch(housing mounted where the lever was) that a child could now operate I "select" Forward or Reverse. The internal footprint of the contacts is larger and they are held together by a electronic field much tighter. Climbed a steep long hill on the ranch, scary 30% grade, and the stuff was barely warm. On the old Rotary, the bolts on the Forward Bus were always very warm after the climb. I'm really happy with this install. And, it is a slam dunk! JUST DO IT!!!! Oh,.. and make sure you install the DIODES correctly!!!!
Motohead342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2020, 04:30 AM   #2
kofifi
Getting Wild

Default Re: F/R Contactors vs Rotary Switch on TXT

how did you mount your forward reverse switch? do you have pictures?
kofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I purchased a set of Super Duty Contactors from ScottyB two....maybe three years ago. I've never had an issue with heat or failure since.

One of the best upgrades you can do if your cart is subject to constant "slow creep" mode or climbing steep hills!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Kit includes a custom mount bracket that mounts to the OEM holes in the floor of the TXT, hardware is included.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: F/R Contactors vs Rotary Switch on TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofifi View Post
how did you mount your forward reverse switch? do you have pictures?
You'll see Scotty's comment where he says the kit he sells has the mounting bracket and the hardware. It's a complete kit. Do it. You put the electric rocker switch where the lever was. It'll take less than an hour if you have the wire and crimping tool, a Hex wrench to remove the old metal bracket the F/R Lever you are replacing is rotating in, and a wrench or 2. You drill 2 holes, one on each side of the "lever" hole(wires go threw here), to mount the switch bracket. It's really sweet!!!!!! A $125 Heavy Duty ROTARY style still has the same problem,.. a small footprint between the bolt heads that degrades constantly, drawing current, creating heat. I've bought a few. VS a footprint that is 4x the size, held together with much greater force, with much heavier bus bars. $200. This upgrade is one of thee best ever!!!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
kofifi
Getting Wild

i meant mount the rocker switch- Do you just screw holes into the body?
I got everything done on mine but there is a metal plate where I should screw into body
kofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It will look something like this.

20190523_171757.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I got everything done on mine but there is a metal plate where I should screw into body
My cart had 2 allen head bolts that held the metal plate from the F/R switch in place. They were located above the F/R lever just under the edge of the seat.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would switch to the reversing contactor from ScottyB. The kit comes with everything you need and is a very easy change out. love having the button over the lever.
dreed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:49 AM   #10
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I removed the metal plate you are referring to. 2 Hex screws and nuts on the top where the seat sits. Then you drill the 2 holes on each side of the "lever" hole, using the switch housing for alignment. It's clean.

Tags
contactors, forward, reverse, rotary switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO