lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Talking Engine swap information needed

I've searched until my eyes hurt.

I've got a 2005 TXT with the 9hp Robins. I've only had it about a month, but I already decided I'd LIKE more power.

What engines fit? I'm not thinking huge, but something like the 13hp Kawasaki or the like.

Thumbing through the Northern catalog they've got all kinds of motors. Which ones work?

How does it work with the motor starting (instead of most motors cranking and running (lawn mowers), the cart starts with the gas pedal?

Would the other parts (clutch, rear end, etc) Hold up to more power?

Thanks in advance!! This stuff is addicting.

BTW: I've attached a picture of my cart after me and my daughter took it for some "mud trials"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart muddy.JPG (95.9 KB, 20 views)
Firescooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Engine swap information needed

The only "bolt-in" engine will be an 11HP, 350cc Robin.. Any other engines will require a new engine cradle.. Cart Parts Plus' Vanguard kits are hard to beat, they can be installed by most anyone with simple hand tools.. I have one of Tom's 23 Vanny kits in my '04 TXT, I added the perf. cam and rev-kit for a boost to nearly 30HP.. Top speed with 8:1 gears is near 40MPH..

Tom's kits are hard to beat!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1071.jpg (185.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1074.jpg (146.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1075.jpg (122.3 KB, 37 views)
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
The only "bolt-in" engine will be an 11HP, 350cc Robin.. Any other engines will require a new engine cradle.. Cart Parts Plus' Vanguard kits are hard to beat, they can be installed by most anyone with simple hand tools.. I have one of Tom's 23 Vanny kits in my '04 TXT, I added the perf. cam and rev-kit for a boost to nearly 30HP.. Top speed with 8:1 gears is near 40MPH..

Tom's kits are hard to beat!!!
Where is a good place to get an 11hp Robins? Does it provide more low end/ hill climbing power? I don't care about top end, just low end power.

The newer EZGO's come with a 13hp Kawasaki, will those not fit right in?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firescooby View Post
Where is a good place to get an 11hp Robins? Does it provide more low end/ hill climbing power? I don't care about top end, just low end power.

The newer EZGO's come with a 13hp Kawasaki, will those not fit right in?

Thanks
Your only source for a 350cc Robin may be a used or rebuilt engine.. Since EZGO discontinued their use, new engines are getting scarce.. The Kawi engines used in the new ST's will require a complete powertrain change.. The axle is different, in that the clutches are on the passenger side of the cart.. The engine cradle is a completely different design also..

If all you're looking for is low-end power, Tom's (Cart Parts Plus) 18 HP Vanny kits are hard to beat.. The kits are easy to install with normal hand tools, and you're upgrading to an engine that has a plentiful supply of replacement parts.. The 18HP Vanny kit is about the same price as what the NEW 350cc Robins sold for..

EZGO 18HP Engine Upgrade Kit
Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
Your only source for a 350cc Robin may be a used or rebuilt engine.. Since EZGO discontinued their use, new engines are getting scarce.. The Kawi engines used in the new ST's will require a complete powertrain change.. The axle is different, in that the clutches are on the passenger side of the cart.. The engine cradle is a completely different design also..

If all you're looking for is low-end power, Tom's (Cart Parts Plus) 18 HP Vanny kits are hard to beat.. The kits are easy to install with normal hand tools, and you're upgrading to an engine that has a plentiful supply of replacement parts.. The 18HP Vanny kit is about the same price as what the NEW 350cc Robins sold for..

EZGO 18HP Engine Upgrade Kit
WOW, I'm not gonna spend that much. I bet they are good, but we only use it at the campground really. It's really hilly, wanting more low end.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The big block is the only real answer to all out power on these carts... However, if you are happy with the current speed, ride and overall performance short of the hill pulling issue, there are other venues. The cost of a big block is up there, but a shorter belt for climbing power and low end torque is relatively cheap. For a little more cheddar you can get the 28 deg. clutch and probably get somewhat the same results. Just layin some options out there for ya...
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
The big block is the only real answer to all out power on these carts... However, if you are happy with the current speed, ride and overall performance short of the hill pulling issue, there are other venues. The cost of a big block is up there, but a shorter belt for climbing power and low end torque is relatively cheap. For a little more cheddar you can get the 28 deg. clutch and probably get somewhat the same results. Just layin some options out there for ya...
I've already done the shorter belt, honestly didn't notice much change on the hills. Did add some better response on take off.

Would the 28 degree clutch help much more?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firescooby View Post
WOW, I'm not gonna spend that much. I bet they are good, but we only use it at the campground really. It's really hilly, wanting more low end.
I went thru all the belt and clutch mods (shorter belt, 28 deg. Driven) on my cart before I bit the bullet and got the Vanny kit.. Simple fact is, 9 HP is 9 HP.. With 22" or taller tires, it's hill climbing prowess is going to be less than stellar.. You'll also end up causing the engine to die an early death because you're working it to death.. A clean, strong-running 295 Robin will fetch enough on resale to offset the hit of the Vanny kit..

There is more to Tom's kits than just the engine.. The kits are pre-wired with a complete wire harness and key switch, there's also the custom engine cradle that mates it all up to the stock axle, along with a matched clutch and belt.. The engines are modified to work with the cart's speed governor in the rear axle.. This is really nice if kids will have access to driving the cart.. You can set the governor to the stock cart speed, but it will get from zero to 15MPH so fast it'll peel your eyelids back..

These kits are a lot of bang for the buck.. I have all the skills and equipment to make the cradle, and wire up an engine.. After shopping for all the needed components and factoring in my time to engineer and install everything, the kits looked better and better.. The cart's total downtime was one day, kit arrived on a Friday afternoon, I started the install on Saturday, and was driving the cart on Sunday.. I routinely use my gasser at my Uncle's farm as a feed cart.. It has no problems climbing steep hills out in the pasture with two 250# riders and 4-500# of feed in the cargo box..

Here's a link to the engine swap in my dad's TXT.. I installed the same 23HP kit that is in my cart, except I left the stock gears in the axle.. This install took a few days because of some extra stuff I did to beef up some components for hard off road use.. His cart will dang near drag a house off of it's foundation!!

Big Blockin' Pop's TXT
Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I had a tremendous change in climbing ability with the shorter belt on my 2000 txt, but it may not be what your lookin for obviously.... Check out the for sale section. There was a complete big block kit for sale there. Don't know if it will fit your cart, but it may be worth a look. Like John said, it is what it is... If your wantin power, get the big block or go with a heavier service buggy... Youtube big block in an ez go and see if you can find some video results, this may give you some kinda reference as to what the big block will do for your cart..
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Are the big blocks much louder?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO