lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default whats the right carb for a 87 ezgo

I have a 1987 ezgo maraton. I think it has the wrong carb on it. The carb on is a Mikuni BV-24. From what I read that BV-24 is for a 1988 and for a 76-87 it is the bv-18. Would the bigger carb give me to much gas to the motor? It runs like it is flooding out at higher speed or can I adjust the carb to make it run better?
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: whats the right carb for a 87 ezgo

You're correct that the 24 is a bigger carb (as well as specific to the '88 models) however the muffler design for the '88 is also different so I don't know if you'd be able to completely tune it correctly using the smaller early muffler ... Personally, if it was my cart I'd lean towards finding an 88 muffler assembly and keeping the bigger carb which should solve your "breathing" problem as well as give you the performance improvement the 88's have over earlier 2PG's
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What BCM said is correct. 1988 and early 89 only-- and the exhaust setup is different...whether or not it flows more I can't say for sure but I would think it does as the 88 and early 89 were designed to be a performance upgrade from the 87 and earlier 2PG motors from what I've read.
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
M.Gilbert3
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

hey guys, didn't want to start a new thread for this little question. I got an 89 ezgo cart the other day and took the carb apart to clean it. I didn't see a spring on the floats in the bulb...there is supposed to be one right?
M.Gilbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert3 View Post
hey guys, didn't want to start a new thread for this little question. I got an 89 ezgo cart the other day and took the carb apart to clean it. I didn't see a spring on the floats in the bulb...there is supposed to be one right?
No spring in my 88...float lifts up with gas level and presses against needle lifting it up into it's seat to shut off the inbound gas flow. Float drops as gas level drops and allows the needle to fall with gravity to allow flow into the bowl to resume.

The only spring thing in mine is in the needle itself...but it's actually a needle from a different carb so I don't know if yours is the same or not ..but none attached to the float for sure. (at least on my early 89 "88 1/2"" 2PG motor)
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert3 View Post
For your edification and delight........ here is your carburetter. As you can see no springs in here.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb24002.jpg (52.0 KB, 21 views)
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
M.Gilbert3
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

hey thanks, i brought the carb to my local small engine shop and he said it was a vm28...no wonder the new needle and float didn't fit, thanks for the help
M.Gilbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

So what did you end up doing - a new carb is prob gonna run around $100, yeeeesh ....
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO