lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
DWL
Not Yet Wild

Default Ignition coil resistance help

I have 84 G1 that has no spark i have done all resistance test on mag. and all grounds and connectors and switchs. I have NO resistance between ground (black) wire on ignition coil to spark plug wire . Any idea what ohm reading should i have
DWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ignition coil resistance help

Looking at the schematic for an 84 G1 i see that the primary and secondary windings of the coil are both connected to ground. If you are measuring resistance from the black wire (ground) to the plug wire which is also grounded you should see zero resistance or near to it, you may have to change the settings on your multimeter. An easy way to test a coil is with the spark plug connected to the high tension wire and the threaded end grounded to the motor. Disconnect the orange wire on the coil, then apply 12v postive voltage to the orange wire terminal stud on the coil and remove. When you remove the voltage from the orange wire terminal you should see a spark at the spark plug. If this happens you have a good coil. Don't leave the 12v on the orange wire terminal for too long as the coil will start to over heat.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
DWL
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ignition coil resistance help

Thanks for the info i will put a temporary 12v on coil and remove to confirm bad coil it is reading open with meter and of course i have no spark
DWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha