lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
BeatYourTruck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Question G14 Shutter on take off, worse under load, going uphill...

Hi everyone.

I have a G14 that runs great but when I try to go up a hill from a stop or take off with additional weight in the cart (passengers), the cart really shutters/jumps until it gets moving. It runs great and is not an engine issue, rather it is coming from the drive system. The primary clutch is brand new. I just put new belts on, cleaned sheave surfaces etc and it is still there.

I DID notice what I think is the problem but would like some feedback. As I was installing the new drive belt, I noticed wear on the ramps on the secondary clutch. Looks like there are supposed to be some plastic guides to keep metal/metal contact from happening and I am guessing those are toast as the metal is pretty grooved.

Is this most likely the issue? Thanks for any feedback.
BeatYourTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 Shutter on take off, worse under load, going uphill...

Yes the metal is grinding and not sliping allowing the clutch to close all the way.
Fix it quick or it will cost a lot.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
BeatYourTruck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the confirmation. It is pretty grooved already. I might try smoothing the metal out a little and putting new slides on to see if that helps.

Can the guides be replaced in the cart, without removing the secondary?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pull the clutch and clean it all up and lightly lube with dry graphite.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
BeatYourTruck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Ok - I don't think that is it after all BUT I like the idea of pulling the secondary and having a look/see, clean and lube job. :)

I just went out and looked closer. The slides are there and there is plenty of remaining material for them to ride on the ramps. After looking at it closer, the slight "grooves" I noticed actually look like they are cast into the ramps for the slides to ride in. There's no metal to metal contact happening.

I picked the cart up used last year, went through the engine, installed a K&N, re-jetted the carb, removed the governor, etc.....it really runs like a champ. It was missing the primary clutch when I bought the cart so I installed the CPP hi-performance clutch on it. I don't remember this "shuddering" happening when I first got it however it has been more noticeable lately. I do have 20" tires with steel wheels and a small lift on it.

Could this be a result of the larger tires? Do I need to go to a heavier spring in the secondary?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Field6565
Gone Wild

One of my carts just started doing the same thing. I have'nt looked at them yet but I am suspecting worn or broken motor mounts. I did replace two out of the four but I need to take a look at the other two.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Call Don @ plowmans tell him what you have and he'll tell you what you need to fix it.
It worked great for me!!!!!!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha