lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

Question 1987 g2 compression 60 lbs

Hello to all, just bought a 87 g2. It runs fairly well, but in trying to diagnose engine cond checked compression at 60lbs, and it leaks down? Points of interest. Sparkplug black but not oily. Oil in air filter box and on filter. Oil leve1/2 between low/high. No oil leaks. Would very much appreciate input on how to approach this condition AND how to rehab engine to good working order. Cart is in xnlt condition otherwise. Just joined and am trying to learn how to use this forum correctly. Look forward to all input! HEK
ernkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1987 g2 compression 60 lbs

Hello and Welcome, im concerned about your 60psi reading first thing, a engine wont run hardly at all with only 60psi, Did you have the throttle full open when you did your compression check??Compression draining down is normal all engines do that, maybe your guage is off??
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I agree with RSP. Is your car lifted? That can sometimes show a wrong amount of oil on the dip stick and get into the air filter. Could be the valves need agdjusting or there not fully closeing due to carbon or wear. Does it smoke? Old mechanic trick, a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole and recheck the compression, if increase dramaticly, usually worn rings. Good luck and welcome to BGW....The golf car NUTHOUSE!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

To RSP & Smallblock. Thanks for your input and the welcome. I noticed my compression tester did not have an O ring so I installed one and re-did the CT. Now only 70 lbs, then oil in SP hole, and No change at all. Background. Just bought the cart and bought it home, did not see any smoking on the test drive, seemed to run OK, but I have nothing to compare it with since this is my 1st cart. I thought I herd some piston slap, but not sure. Does start up and run down the road. Could it just be head work. I,me a pretty good shade tree mechanic, but don't know anything about these engines so your input is really helpful. What steps would you suggest I take next. I will take your suggestions and follow them/report back the results so as not to waste your time. Or I could take the cart to a shop and pay a qazillion $'s to have someone maybe fix it for me! ONLY KIDDING I paid $1000 for her and I,me loving working on her! HEK
Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

Gents just pulled the valve cover to check the valves/condition of valve train. Looks OK, no excessive oil /crud build up, valve clearance is .006 on both valves with piston at tdc on compression stroke. Thanks HEK
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the kind words, I`ve posted some very good replies and some people never reply back, makes me wonder sometimes if im just wasting my time, I`m still concerned about your compression tester, do me a faver, test a couple other things around your house , Riding mower if it has electric start, buddys golf cart, buddys lawn mower, something. Can you borrow another tester from a friend? If your engine starts right up, runs well, seems spunky then all is well. I have ben working on small engines for 35+ years, along with cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, chainsaws, bla-bla-bla. I`m thinking you have more compression than your guage is showing. Normally a engine wont run, let alone run good with at least 100 pounds of compression, should be in the 140-160 range for a good healthy engine, make sure the carb is full open when cranking. let us know what you find
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the cart is lifted (even if not, but lifted changes it) change the oil and put 1 qt in, then check the level. That is full, never put more in it where ever it reads on the stick. Too much will make it come out in the airbox, trash the filter and make a mess. Also make sure the valve cover seals fully, put a thin layer of rtv/etc on it after cleaning it. If that leaks the oil will get on the cooling fins inside the shroud and fill them with dirt, then you will be wondering why it runs hot. And it takes a bit of work to get all the shrouding off.

Eventually the balance shaft wears into the block and starts to knock a little. Could be something else, but that engine is pretty much a tank. I replaced mine this summer it was burning oil, had it since '99 from a golf course and never touched it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

Thanks RSP/sho305! I am going to get another compression gauge and re-check compression, as this is my most important worry .Then I am going to drain engine oil and refill with syn 10/30 ONLY ONE QUART, and drain the fuel tank. The gent I bought the cart from was selling it for a neighbor who had passed away leaving the cart in storage for 2 years. The seller did recommend I drain the gas. The amazing thing is when I test drove it before purchasing it even with 2 year old gas and low compression(to be determined),it still started & ran pretty good! and no smoke that was evident. One more question! If my compression is still down, do I start with a valve job, or do a top end rebuild? Is this advisable on a 87 with who knows what internal mx? Her again I very much appreciate your input/expertise I helping to get my cart healthy and running, for as of know I haven't been able to actually use her. HEK
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Lets just do the compression check with another gauage first.........
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If your compression is low and you have to take the head off to do the valves might as well re ring it too. Better then wishing you had later or having to go back in. Do both right off the bat. But usually Yammy's rings go before the valves.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha