lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 g2 compression 60 lbs

Thanks, will have a new compression gauge in 3 days and will re-check. Then will respond with my findings. Have a good Sunday all! HEK
ernkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcXtreme72 View Post
If your compression is low and you have to take the head off to do the valves might as well re ring it too. Better then wishing you had later or having to go back in. Do both right off the bat. But usually Yammy's rings go before the valves.
I agree. If it needs this or that and runs good, then run it. If it needs any kind of internal work do the above or drop a larger engine in it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

To all kind enough to respond to my problem! GREAT NEWS. Re-checked compression with a new gauge and she hit 155lbs consistently. You all were spot on! What a relief. Now, I can continue on with my build! I have purchased 4 new 20+11+8 knobby tires on deep dished wheels WITH a 4 inch lift kit. In addition I will be ordering a K&N air filter to go with a G2 performance kit consisting of clutch,spring, belt,jet, and muffler from Plowmans. Then the cart will get a new plug, synthetic oil, gear oil, rebuilt starter brushes,valve adjust, and gasket. I gleaned this info from this great forum, but would like input into how you feel this combination of parts will work together. I also just kicked in some Dinero to the forum to help give back! I,me pretty excited to go carting. There is such value in the older stuff, especially when they keep running after 25 years! Thanks again for your input. HEK
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Great news! Valves (both intake and exhaust) should be set at .004 (when the engine is cold). Also the NGK-BPR2ES spark plug is a great (hot) spark plug to use (don't recommend anything but NGK). Lets see a picture or 2 of your new toy.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I`ve posted some very good replies and some people never reply back, makes me wonder sometimes if im just wasting my time, I`m still concerned about your compression tester, do me a faver, test a couple other things around your house , Riding mower if it has electric start, buddys golf cart, buddys lawn mower, something. Can you borrow another tester from a friend? If your engine starts right up, runs well, seems spunky then all is well. I have ben working on small engines for 35+ years, along with cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, chainsaws, bla-bla-bla. I`m thinking you have more compression than your guage is showing. Normally a engine wont run, let alone run good with at least 100 pounds of compression, should be in the 140-160 range for a good healthy engine, make sure the carb is full open when cranking. let us know what you find
Glad to hear all is working out, I knew your guage was not working right, engines wont run on 60 pounds of compression. I cant help you about your upgrade questions, im not a yamaha guy but pistons are piston and i know them well. Anytime I can help you SPEND YOUR MONEY just give me shout lol
Congrats
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all your input. I,ve read on this forum that when one goes with an aftermarket air filter like a K&N that you must go with a larger carb jet. Does anyone know which sizes I might try? I also would like to open up the exhaust system, as my factory muffler, thought almost new, looks very restrictive. I've done this upgrade on all my cars, so it just makes sense that the same principle would work on a 4 cycle motor! Has anyone successfully modified a factory muffler on a G2, or is it just smarter to go with an aftermarket from plowmans? Also as for the clutches, what is the best upgrade to achieve more low end torque? I am not looking for more speed with this cart, just more low end pulling power. Once again I appreciate input from any and all who have been this route before and will share their results with me. By the way wh'eve finally gotten really nice weather here in phoenix after the hottest summer on record. Cant wait to get my new toy out and enjoy it! HEK
Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernkola View Post
Thanks for all your input. I,ve read on this forum that when one goes with an aftermarket air filter like a K&N that you must go with a larger carb jet. Does anyone know which sizes I might try? I also would like to open up the exhaust system, as my factory muffler, thought almost new, looks very restrictive. I've done this upgrade on all my cars, so it just makes sense that the same principle would work on a 4 cycle motor! Has anyone successfully modified a factory muffler on a G2, or is it just smarter to go with an aftermarket from plowmans? Also as for the clutches, what is the best upgrade to achieve more low end torque? I am not looking for more speed with this cart, just more low end pulling power. Once again I appreciate input from any and all who have been this route before and will share their results with me. By the way wh'eve finally gotten really nice weather here in phoenix after the hottest summer on record. Cant wait to get my new toy out and enjoy it! HEK
I like the Yamaha "consier/umax" spring, many others like Jakes torque spring or Plowmans. Just don't buy the "BU" peice of poop
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When I got my G2 some one had done a crappy job welding an atv muffler on it so I had to replace that. I welded on a street bike muffler. I ran an open filter and went with the performance jet from CPP and was pretty satisfied. As for clutches I went with the CPP torque spring and I can't believe what it did. With 24" tires the stock little G2 motor will spin tires in dirt. I use it to tow trailers around the house a lot. 3/4 big block suburban on a 22' flat bed trailer up the hill I live on. It's crazy how it tows. Sadly I broke a major part on the carb so it won't be trick or treating with me this year.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
ernkola
Not Yet Wild

Thanks smallblock and extreme72 for your thoughts. Heres my problem! I dont know who the sellers that you are abbrieviating are? Can you tell me their names, or is it not cool to mention a vendor specifically on the forum? I would like to buy parts from them but I dont know who they are. Help?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here are some options
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-power-kit.html
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-...-g-2-g-21.html
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/carb-je...11-lifted.html
That's the spring and jet I used. And of course if you want to go all out and LOVE your cart there's this
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/vanguar...-g-2-9-14.html
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha