lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
bobsy
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 general operating tips..........

Hi Folks,
I posted a couple of weeks ago about a pre-purchase for a G1 Yamaha. I went and looked at it, it appeared to be in pretty good shape, not cosmetically of course. I drove up and down the street for a moment and it seemed to do pretty well. It only smoked when we first started, I presume because it was choked. Anyway, to make a long story short, I bought the thing and can't get it to run.

I downloaded an owner's manual but it doesn't seem to cover much.

As I confessed to my first post I am utterly and completely ignorant about what to expect from this vehicle. If I turn the key, for either forward or reverse the symptoms are the same. With the key on, I engage the gas pedal for maybe a quarter of its travel.... the starter engages.... the engine operates..... but it will not pull away. If I floor the gas pedal nothing changes but the sound through the carburetor. I have tried adding the choke a little or a lot, no change. Keep in mind, I haven't changed a thing since I drove it during my test ride. This vehicle seems to be particularly cold-blooded. I think when it's warm it will do fine......

Sorry if this has been discussed 1000 times before, but again, I have absolutely no idea what to expect...... this may even be normal behavior. Ha.

I suspect this is been covered before.... so any input is very welcome.
Thanks for reading and best wishes for the new year.
Bobsy
bobsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 general operating tips..........

When the temp drops below 40 mine takes a lot to get it started and even then it's very rough until it warms up real good, then it runs like a champ. On warm days it only takes a second and it's running. This is a cart that is fully rebuilt. I know there aren't any physical problems, it just runs crappy in the cold.

Try this. Put the cart in the garage, turn on a portable heater and set it on the drivers side next to the cart. Let it warm up. Start it and see if it runs any different. If so, yes your cart is cold blooded just like mine. Perhaps a carb adjustment is necessary to add more fuel in the winter time. I know snowmobiles are jetted heavy for this reason, maybe we need to do the same? I've also seen a device made for dirt bikes and ATMs that acts like an additional jet but only operates when it's needed, like at full throttle or temp changes?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would squirt some gas into the carb and see if it fires on that. I'm thinking if the cart has been sitting for a while the gas in the tank is probably pretty old and may not fire espescially cold. It might be border line bad and will burn if its warm but not cold. If you get some results by squirting gas into the carb i would drain all the old stuff and refill with new gas. Are you mixing the gas and oil or is the oil injection system still working? Adding oil to the gas makes it go dead quicker than just pure gasoline. Verify you have spark at the plug when cranking before you get too far in the gasoline direction.

Happy New year to everyone!!

Last edited by caddylac camper; 01-02-2013 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: add sentence
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddylac camper View Post
I would squirt some gas into the carb and see if it fires on that. I'm thinking if the cart has been sitting for a while the gas in the tank is probably pretty old and may not fire espescially cold. It might be border line bad and will burn if its warm but not cold. If you get some results by squirting gas into the carb i would drain all the old stuff and refill with new gas. Are you mixing the gas and oil or is the oil injection system still working? Adding oil to the gas makes it go dead quicker than just pure gasoline. Verify you have spark at the plug when cranking before you get too far in the gasoline direction.

Happy New year to everyone!!
Believe him....Canadians know COLD! LOL
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What you have is the starter/gen running and the engine is not. Its lack of gas or lack of spark most likely. Try above suggestions first and see if its just cold weather. When I ran G1s in the winter I would fully choke them until they started, usually they turned over 10-20 times before they started....outside in freezing temps. You may need new spark plug, clean the carb, have an air leak, cracked fuel line, airbox leaking will make it worse, etc. Is likely a minor problem.

If this is the first time you tried to run it in freezing temps, well the first thing you do is dump some drygas in the tank and see if you get any gas pumping to the carb the next day or when it warms up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

One other point. You need to find a service manual not an owners manual. I found mine on the net and downloaded it to my laptop then printed what I needed. Fairly cheap for all the info you get. Everyone is glad to help but a manual is essential.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
bobsy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for the great replies......
I pulled the spark plug it smelled a lot like bad gasoline. This might make sense because when I choke it absolutely nothing changes.... and yes I did check that the choke plate was actually closing. Perhaps bad gas combined with cooler temperatures could be all it's required for a no start condition. Anyway, I'll drain the fuel had some new, and hope for the best. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you all know if that was the issue.

Thanks again for the help it is much appreciated,
Coleman
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
bobsy
Not Yet Wild

On a side note......
It's kind of hard to repair something when you're so ignorant of the system you can't even tell if it's running or just starting.....oh well, at least I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again....
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Keep at it, I felt the same way a few months ago. With the help of the folks here, I'm learning. In the end its only nuts and bolts!
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A bad plug will do it every time in a 2 stroke. RPM increase and exhaust noise will tell you it is running, as will the smell.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha