lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
motocross77
Not Yet Wild

Default Trouble with Grounds

Hey guys I just picked up a 1987 G1 from a friend of mine. The cart has a problem with blowing fuses. The previous owner thinks that the starter was causing it to blow the fuses, but I am not sure. I have been reading so much about how if you ground anything to the frame it will blow a fuse. When as I looked at the wiring it looks as if someone took the ground wires from the harness and connected them to a bolt of the frame. Is this right? Or are all ground wires suppose to go back to the battery, or motor? Or what else could be causing the blown fuses? Any help would be great! Thanks guys!
motocross77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Trouble with Grounds

check the wiring diagram sticky above, and the system is grounded to the frame in 2 spots. The ground should also have a 10 amp fuse. I ended up just making a whole new ground harness, the cart is 26 yrs old and I didn't want to keep chasing shorts.
mwar410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
motocross77
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I just printed out the wiring diagram and will see if all the ground wires are right on my cart. Where are your two grounds connect to the frame and engine? Mine had one on the bolt that holds that fender above the rear tire that has all the solenoids and electrical on it. Then the other one was just hanging there and I am not sure where that one goes.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I believe it was grounded to the engine, the black coil wire. I made a fresh ground on the fender support behind the battery.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
motocross77
Not Yet Wild

I redid my ground wires and checked the fuses. I went to hit the pedal and nothing happened. So I was looking at the wiring diagram and saw that on the shut off switch below the pedal has no power to any of the wires, but shouldn't the brown and red wire should be hot, correct? What should I check now? There is no sounds at all when you hit the pedal. The voltage regulator does not have any hot wires going into it either.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

there is a splice under the floor that goes red to the main switch and r/w to the stop (or vice versus) switch under the pedal, this is where my problem was.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
motocross77
Not Yet Wild

update: I got the solenoids to click now. When I have it in forward, the click is much softer than if I have it in reverse. Is that normal? Also when I have it in reverse and if I spin the starter by hand it will spin but it does not have enough power to start it by itself. Does this mean the starter is bad? Also I can not get it to spin or do anything when I have it in forward. The solenoid clicks but very soft. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like a starter rebuild..
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha