lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Voltage Reducer Questions

Hey guys - I just installed a Roypow lithium battery in my 1996 Club Car DS. The cart already had lights, (headlights being halogen), and I converted over to LED.

The lights are fed by a voltage reducer (no stickers or models #s on it), so I'm not sure what the output on it is. That reducer has the negative coming from the battery- terminal, and the positive is fed by the ignition.

I would like to add another reducer in the front to power and added light bar and a horn. My guess is that I should not try to pull any more power from the key switch since it already is passing it to the first reducer.

Any suggestions on how to wire the 2nd reducer to only come on when the key is in the on position? Maybe run both reducers from the key using relays instead?
bzlytbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Questions

Can you not just run a bus bar from the 1st reducer to add connections, I don't think that you would need 2 reducers for amps you drawing.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Can you not just run a bus bar from the 1st reducer to add connections, I don't think that you would need 2 reducers for amps you drawing.
I definitely could. I'm assuming the existing lights draw no more than 12 amps, my new light bar draws ~11 amps, and the horn draws ~1.5 amps from time to time.

That gives me about 24.5 amps if all of those are used.

I also have 2 USB ports and illuminated rockers I was going to add, and they only use about an amp, maybe 2 at the most if both ports being used.

If I just take off the old converter and put the new one in place (knowing I now have a 30 amp source), I can then add a fuse/distro box and have everything nice and neat and protected.
bzlytbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car