lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
ICTGolfer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default '08 G29 Intermittent Buzzing

First time poster so apologize in advance for any hiccups....

I bought an '08 YDRE (G29) from a buddy that had run the batteries completely down. Once I put a new set of batteries in it, an intermittent buzz starting happening while driving. The sound was present while pressing on the accelerator as well as coasting to a stop. The sound is what sounds like the tail-end of a zip tie flicking on a tire or something like that but really fast. Some days it starts right out of the garage. Other days, it starts after a couple holes.

I've take it to a local Yamaha dealership here in Wichita and they say the motor specs out with proper electrical measurements yet they still hear the sound as well yet don't know what is causing it.

Could this be caused by the IntelliPower System that's used or regenerative braking?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have a great President's Day.

ICTGolfer (Dave)
ICTGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: '08 G29 Intermittent Buzzing

If the sound could also be described as "bees trapped in the motor controller area", The sound is most likely the solenoid. If you remove the black cover in the bagwell, you can confirm or deny this by checking the solenoid quickly after coming to a stop (before it shuts off). Replacing the solenoid will fix it, placing rubber washers between the solenoid and the black steel bracket will reduce the sound. This was a incredibly common annoyance, but it has never been known to cause any problems. I have never seen one with real bees in the motor controller area.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
ICTGolfer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the response, cgtech.

Yes, I would agree that it does sound like some bees buzzing around with a bit higher pitch.

The buzzing sound is done buzzing by the time the cart stops so not sure I can get back there in time to actually here the solenoid buzzing. Perhaps I'll get my daughter to drive it while I hang on to the back with the bagwell cover.

That leads me to another silly question....what's the solenoid look like and where's the best place to get a replacement?

Is this something I can replace myself or do I need to have the dealer do it? Do any instructions exist?

Thanks again for the help. This has been driving me crazy!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It is circled in the picture. It is pretty easy to replace. The stock "trombetta" one is actually pretty good for stock uses (not undersized for the job). New ones dont buzz. Be sure to disconnect batteries before replacing it. The controller does not look like yours, but that doesnt matter for this question, your solenoid is in this location. The solenoid can be found at any yamaha dealer for around $80-90. A 48v "white-rogers" of the same size (like used on G19&22) is a heavy duty one, also ScottyB (cartsunlimited.net) can set you up with a good heavy duty one also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150216_143926.jpg (186.3 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
ICTGolfer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Fantastic. That certainly looks doable.

Thanks again, cgtech.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

http://www.golfcartking.com/yamaha-solenoid-s/213.htm
Dave in VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
ICTGolfer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Greetings everyone.

After getting great advise from scottyb and replacing the solenoid this evening, the swarm of bees are still at work in my cart. I even used the suggestion of using some rubber washers to separate it from the frame.

Booo.....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dave
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Phil4Yamaha
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I would have bet a large sum of money on the replacement solenoid. It is possible that is the new solenoid also making a noise.
However, Leave the rear cover off, raise the rear wheels off the ground, and check( listen and touch) for the noise. If it is a buzz, you will feel which component it is coming from.
Phil4Yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha