lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2021, 05:53 AM   #1
jayjaws
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Replace Reverse Buzzer with Relay

I'm trying to replace the reverse buzzer in my 2016 Precedent with a 48v SPST relay but the circuit will not activate the coil. I don't understand why. Does anyone have any special knowledge about the orange/white wire that goes to the controller. I thought it was just a wire that gets grounded when the Reverse switch is in the reverse position. But it is either current limiting or it is some kind of pulsed circuit for the buzzer. Any help with this is appreciated. By the way, I'm trying to replace the obnoxious buzzer sound with a duck quacking sound that is activated via the relay.
jayjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Replace Reverse Buzzer with Relay

Subscribed! What device are you using for the quacking?
kevinmoore73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Pink should be positive and orange/white is negative. Would not think a relay would pull more than a buzzer.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
jayjaws
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm using an adafruit sound board. You can get the whole story if you google Nicest Car Horn and look for the youtube video by Mark Rober.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
jayjaws
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yep - Pink is +48V. The orange/white wire goes into the controller - it doesn't exactly measure 0v. I think it was reading about .24v. Without the schematics of the controller, it hard to tell exactly what it's doing. I thought the controller just grounded the wire when the switch is in reverse, but maybe not. The buzzer not only activates when in reverse, but will sound if the cart starts to roll and the brakes are not put on. It also sound 3 beeps when the charger is plugged in.

Maybe the coil is too much of a load for the circuit(?). Maybe a current limiter on the orange/white wire? The relay coil measure 1.2K ohms and the buzzer measures 0 ohms.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It was my understanding that the negative side goes to ground when the buzzer is activated. Why it won’t pull in a relay surprises me. You did hook it to 85 and 86 right?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
jayjaws
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes 86 connected to - (orange/white) and 85 to + (pink). I don't understand it either. I think there must be something special about the (orange/white) wire.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

I used my buzzer leads to trigger a relay to power rererse lights on my XRT, which is identical to a DS IQ cart. Are the buzzer circuits wired similarly on the Precedents?
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:20 AM   #9
jayjaws
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My Precedent is model "JE Precedent i2, High-Frequency Charger" or "i2, Excel". I don't know how it compares to the DS or the model controller that is in it. I just bought it a few months ago and have not pulled the panel to see the controller. Maybe I'll do that today. I have tried 3 different relays with different voltage operating coils. The first was a 48V coil, then I tried a solid state relay wtih a 3-32V coil, and two different ones with 12V coils. None of them worked. When I connect the 48v relay in the active circuit, the voltage across the coil reads 24.5V. When I measure the voltage across the buzzer, it reads 46V. Just a 2V drop compared to (48V-24.5V) 23.5V drop.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
jayjaws
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I FOUND THE SOLUTION! I was able to make this work by using a SSR (Solid State Relay) Kyoto Electric KF0602D DC-to-DC Solid State Relay along with 20K OHM resistor to reduce the input voltage and a few diodes because of how I wanted it to work. I can post the wiring diagrams and additional information if anyone is interested.

Tags
buzzer, precedent, relay
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car