lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
fivestarranger
Not Yet Wild

Default Ignition coil swap

So after a month or so of sitting I decided to tinker with the golf cart once again. This time I found the problem which was a bad coil wire. At this point it's running but sputtering and backfiring at low rpm's. It's a 84 marathon with robin and I've already bbq muffler, cleaned carb, converted it to premix and went through fuel system.

I just bought an ignition coil that was recommended in a thread for conversion. It's from a 1976 nova with a v6 motor. I put it in and found that I was getting much more spark from it. Once I tried running the cart I kept blowing the 2 amp -250v glass fuse that is wired on my cart from the regulator to the ignition switch.

Should this fuse even be there and when changing to that ignition coil do i have to do the hei module as well?
fivestarranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ignition coil swap

The new coil may draw more current than the stocker. I would use a amp meter to see what the amp load is on that circuit with the new coil. If the amp load is now say 4 amps I would feel comfortable using a little larger fuse.
P.S.- Never eliminate fuses that is a recipe for disaster..
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
fivestarranger
Not Yet Wild

I thought I finally had the issue worked out and then once again NO spark. This cart is driving me crazy works long enough to think it's fixed. At this point i'm tempted to start from scratch and rewire the whole cart and make both the HEI module and Ignition coil conversions.
fivestarranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The HEI conversion is a cool solution to a no spark problem when the ignition module is bad. You still have the pulser coil to worry about though. Those HEI modules are good for thousands and thousands of miles. I alway suggest to check all power and ground connections when there is a intermittent problem. Also look closely at all the harnesses for ant sign of corrosion or rub through. Good luck
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO