lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
duder1982
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batteries and charger

Typically Genies use Trojan t105 I believe, but we replace them with US2200's when they go out. JLG I think uses a re-cased Trojan t105 with JLG on the label. We have had good luck with the US 2200's. I don't know what the price difference is, other than buying the US2200s locally saves us quite a bit vs ordering the Trojan's from someone else.

But to answer some questions that I believe may have arose from JohnnieB's statements. When I first brought the batteries inside I never took a voltage reading. However before hooking up the trickle charger I was at about 6.15 volts which is above the 50% SoC. So I should be good there, I guess as long as I check the voltage and pull the batteries at 6.37 I should be good.

I like how you guys base this all off of the SoC, which makes since. I will start to look at that. JohnnieB, thanks for posting that chart. Thanks to all who have answered my questions on the battery voltage. Now I will be saving for a new controller along with the solenoid. I guess the cool stereo cal, along with the accessories will have to wait. I might still pick up a 36 volt to 12 volt converter, that way I don't drain my batteries unevenly.
duder1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

US batteries are different.

Here is a SoC chart for them.
Attached Images
File Type: png US Battery SoC vs OCV table from USB.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
duder1982
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
US batteries are different.

Here is a SoC chart for them.
Yes they are, I guess that is why we might have better luck with them in the field.

I guess i thought that the chart posted was generic. Maybe i n3ed to go through the post and see what different people say about all the different batteries. As i am sure the research done on which battery is best has all ready been done.

Scratch that, I just re read the charts. Looks like torjans win with the 50% mark being at 6.05 vs US 2200s being at 6.06. This is where I guess a digital battery charge read out comes in handy. Tells you once you've reached 36.36 and time to plug it in.

I was just looking at the Alltrax motor controller you have. I like the usb port for programing, not that I am sure why that would be needed but it sounds cool.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The main difference is the higher voltage between 90% and 100%, the charts are essentially the same from there on down.

The tricky part is that US batteries need to reach a higher voltage at the end of the charge cycle to get fully charged than Trojan batteries, so chargers designed to charge Trojan batteries might chronically undercharge US batteries.

Attached is the charging recommendations from US Battery for their products.

------------
Previous generations of Alltrax controllers used a RS-232 (Serial) interface and computers stopped including a RS-232 port, so you had to use a USB to serial adapter and not all adapter cables worked. The latest generation uses an USB interface and eliminates the adapter issues.

The stock PDS controller worked at 36V only, limited the motor to a max of about 4400RPM (18MPH of stock height tires), worked with a very limited number of motors and locked into performance profiles developed by some anonymous person sitting at a desk somewhere and approved by lawyers and accountants. The Alltrax DCX controllers removed those restrictions and the XCT is the latest generation of technology and provides more flexibility.

Basically, you can tune the controller for your specific cart setup is and what your personal desires are rather than accepting a generic profile in which somebody else dictates what you cart drive system has to be and what your desires are.

Also, if you have a laptop connected while driving your cart, you can record various amps and voltages and other parameters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-charging-recommendations(3).pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Ok so I charged my batteries today cc Ds 48 volt system , cart has sat since October but charge them at least monthly. I decided to check voltage when charger kicked off and was getting a 49.9 reading and 8.2 volt each battery.

Is this from sitting ? Terminals spotless, batteries filled to proper level and 1 1/2 years old. Thank you for any thoughts !
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:04 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 View Post
Ok so I charged my batteries today cc Ds 48 volt system , cart has sat since October but charge them at least monthly. I decided to check voltage when charger kicked off and was getting a 49.9 reading and 8.2 volt each battery.

Is this from sitting ? Terminals spotless, batteries filled to proper level and 1 1/2 years old. Thank you for any thoughts !
Obviously, your batteries are not being fully charged.

I'm not all that familiar with CC charging systems, other than the OBC looses track of the amps used vs amps put back and has to be reset occasionally. There are processes for resetting the OBC and getting it to do an equalizing charge, but I don't remember what they is.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
duder1982
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Old thread, thought I would let everyone know where I am at with this cart. As of last fall, she was still running. Through out the last season, I had issues what I would relate to low charging. This is the year I am going to get a hold of this issue and stay on top of it. I work for a forklift repair company that has access to good water and chargers. So I decided to remove the batteries from my cart to bring to my work for service. When I got them in the shop and checked the water, they were a lot lower than I should have allowed them, one might say that the batteries were dead and needed to be replaced. I figured I had time, so I filled the batteries and hooked them up to an industrial battery charger. This charger is a smart charger, so it senses correct voltage and amperage and charges accordingly, it even does and equalization on the cells. I don't know how well it works for 3 cell 6 volt batteries, but I do know I got a full charge for the first time in a while. I performed a load test with a hand held load tester and all the batteries had a good strong charge. The batteries have been sitting for a couple of weeks, so I will need to check them and recharge if necessary. Hopefully they never fell below 50% state of charge.

Anyways, I just ordered a new 36 to 12 volt reducer and a new DVM kit from Carts Unlimited. Hopefully this helps me keep an eye on the voltage and recharge when necessary, plus I won't be draining just the two batteries for when I use the head lights. If all works out, hopefully I will be buying a new motor controller in the future.

Well that's where I am at, I will keep you all posted on the battery charge and installation.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO