lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Cartlifer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default TXT electric series 48 volt conversion More Speed

Looking for ideas on increasing speed without lifting or going to larger tires. I am running 215-30-14 street tires.
I am currently running 700amp GE controller HD FWD/REV switch and 4 ga wires.
Has anyone swapped gears? 6 to 1 or 8 to 1 and if so what has been the increase?
Mine is a 1998 model TXT converted to 48 volt and only running 33-34 MPH.
THANKS for any assistance.....
Cartlifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT electric series 48 volt conversion More Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartlifer View Post
Looking for ideas on increasing speed without lifting or going to larger tires. I am running 215-30-14 street tires.
I am currently running 700amp GE controller HD FWD/REV switch and 4 ga wires.
Has anyone swapped gears? 6 to 1 or 8 to 1 and if so what has been the increase?
Mine is a 1998 model TXT converted to 48 volt and only running 33-34 MPH.
THANKS for any assistance.....
Typo ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
Cartlifer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No sir no typos.
Full disclosure:
1998 txt 48 volt conversion.
US batteries
GE 700 amp controller
HD FWD/Rev switch
HD Solenoid
4Ga wires throughout cart
215-30-14 street tires
1 1/2" front lift
Plumquick 48 volt motor

33-34 MPH
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your tires are 19" tall, so if you are currently running stock (12.44:1) gears, your motor is spinning at 7300 to 7500 RPM at the speeds stated, which may exceed the max recommended RPM by the manufacturer. Of course, that depends on which PQ motor you are running and I don't know the max RPM PQ recommends for any of their products..

What color is your PQ motor, purple, green or orange? (Bandit, Executioner or Assassin)

Mathematically, 8:1 gears will up the speed to about 52 MPH and 6:1 gears will up it to about 70 MPH, but the additional torque losses (36% and 52% respectfully) will prevent that cart from reaching those speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

What PQ motor are you running? Use the calculator to figure adding high speed gears. Your stock set is probably 12.44:1 right now.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php

More importantly you need to figure out how you're going to be stopping. Hope you have front and rear discs....and a roll cage.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Cartlifer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The motor was custom built. Not listed on their website. Call Rick their website hasn't been updated in about 4 years they are redesigning it now.
My motor is burgundy with skull and red flames
I do know the cart has stock gears but I am unsure about your calculations.......the RPM you stated sounds WAY about what I think it should be. I will calculate myself now that I know the stock gear ratio.
And no I am not looking for 50+ MPH but I am looking for 40+.
PQ is checking into a new motor for me and supposed to give me the MAX recommend gear ratio.
This is just a flat surface subdivision cart in South Louisiana. Having fun with excessive speeds but haven't had anyone pass me yet....
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The motor was custom built. Not listed on their website. Call Rick their website hasn't been updated in about 4 years they are redesigning it now.
My motor is burgundy with skull and red flames
I do know the cart has stock gears but I am unsure about your calculations.......the RPM you stated sounds WAY about what I think it should be. I will calculate myself now that I know the stock gear ratio.
And no I am not looking for 50+ MPH but I am looking for 40+.
PQ is checking into a new motor for me and supposed to give me the MAX recommend gear ratio.
This is just a flat surface subdivision cart in South Louisiana. Having fun with excessive speeds but haven't had anyone pass me yet....
Go ahead and crunch the numbers yourself, but I have validated the accuracy of the spreadsheet I put together using a GPS speedometer and tachometer. My PDS type motor provides RPM data and when my Alltrax XCT controller is connected to a laptop computer, Motor RPM (and many other parameters) can be displayed in real time as well as being recorded for later review.

The only ambiguity in my calculations is the exact height of your tires. The numbers posted work out to a height of 19.07874", which I rounded down to 19", however the numbers stamped on the sidewalls of tire are only approximate and the only way to find out what the true tire height is, is measure it physically.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Cartlifer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Please do not take offense to my comments. I too am highly shocked at the numbers and yes I too ran the numbers and your numbers are very similar to mine.
I have a call into PQ to get the max recommended RPM on my motor.
I guess I was hoping to get some info here about gear swaps and courious about the results.
I will update as I receive more info from PQ.
OH and trust me the speeds quoted we check and verified by a few sources and GPS's.
anyone that has ridden or driven my cart only has one thing to say..... NOOO WAY!!!that thing is unbelievable
Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Could you throw in another 8v battery and run at 56v?
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Please do not take offense to my comments. I too am highly shocked at the numbers and yes I too ran the numbers and your numbers are very similar to mine.
I have a call into PQ to get the max recommended RPM on my motor.
I guess I was hoping to get some info here about gear swaps and courious about the results.
I will update as I receive more info from PQ.
OH and trust me the speeds quoted we check and verified by a few sources and GPS's.
anyone that has ridden or driven my cart only has one thing to say..... NOOO WAY!!!that thing is unbelievable
No offense taken, I'm glad you verified my numbers instead of taking them at face value.

For a 19.0" tire height I get 7263 RPM at 33 MPH and 7483 at 34 MPH, which I rounded up to 7300 and 7500. (BTW: I use 3.14159265358979 for pi)

Here is a good thread on gear swaps: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...xperiment.html

Terry started with a PDS cart rather than a series drive, but the principles are the same except for motor type.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO