lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
TheJoshHarding
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Wobble/Cavitation

My 3" lifted/Freedom/23x10x14 wheels RXV is cavitating/wobbling at all speeds. It's not "scary" or doesn't feel "unsafe" by any means, just not smooth and normal for a newly rebuilt cart.

$150 later I now own an air compressor. Tires are filled to suggested levels and I still have the issue.

What's my next move? It almost feels like something is out of balance/alignment, but I didn't know if that can happen like a normal car's wheel.

The guy who built it claims that this is what happens to lifted RXV's. Seems a little hoakie?
TheJoshHarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Wobble/Cavitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoshHarding View Post
My 3" lifted/Freedom/23x10x14 wheels RXV is cavitating/wobbling at all speeds. It's not "scary" or doesn't feel "unsafe" by any means, just not smooth and normal for a newly rebuilt cart.

$150 later I now own an air compressor. Tires are filled to suggested levels and I still have the issue.

What's my next move? It almost feels like something is out of balance/alignment, but I didn't know if that can happen like a normal car's wheel.

The guy who built it claims that this is what happens to lifted RXV's. Seems a little hoakie?
He's close, but it's not the only reason. Lifting an RXV leads to greater instability due to a higher center of gravity, but it is the oversized tires/wheels that lead to the wobble. The factory suspension on E-Z-GO golf carts was never intended to be used in this manner. It was designed for small tires, at fairly low speed, on a golf course. As you increase tire size, the amount of movement by those tires is greater for the amount of front suspension/steering slop present, than smaller tires will exhibit. It's simple geometry.

There is slop in the suspension that cannot be adjusted out. You must do a lot of work, replacing original components with tighter tolerance components that you may have to ream to exacting dimensions to get rid of it. Replace plastic bushings with brass bushings, replace metric hardware with slightly larger SAE hardware and ream the bushings to fit the new hardware tightly. Lube everything properly so the newly fit components do not bind.

I know that this is not what you really want to hear, but it is exactly what I had to do to the RXV chassis that I used for my Bandolero road car project. I posted photos and sources of some of these brass bushings in my RXV chassis road car thread.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...-road-car.html

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #3
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Before you go too far check the front end alignment. Make sure you have very close to 1/8" toe in. After you adjust it drive it and check it again. Then check for any loose or worn front suspension bushings or fasteners. Bad toe in will make a golf cart feel mysteriously unstable.

A lift kit is not designed to make a golf cart feel more stable. It lifts the body and raises the center of gravity. It will feel different and not as stable as stock.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
TheJoshHarding
Not Yet Wild

Is this a pretty easy thing to check? I’ve always been one to have this done at a car dealership. Lol. Don’t shame me.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you can look on youtube for videos on alignment. Mine was the same way where i didn't feel safe going top speed. I went through a front set of tires in a year. I ended up being 1 inch off.
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
TheJoshHarding
Not Yet Wild

Do you have a 6” lift or a 3”?

I have a 3” but I’m rubbing on the back tires if I take a ramp/incline
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

3" lift with 23" tires would cause the rub. You'll likely need more lift for 23s. I have a TXT48 with a 6" lift and 23" tires and no rub. But there is a lot of gap between the body and the tires. I bought the cart like this but a 5" lift would look better, IMHO.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
TheJoshHarding
Not Yet Wild

How easy is it to swap a lift out for a different size?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just about the same as installing a lift in the first place. I am not familiar with an RXV but I don't believe it is any more difficult than other makes. Mine is a 21 year old TXT so the front suspension is different. I run 22"x11" tires and my 5" lift provides ample room for 23" tires. That is only 0.5" more radius than 22" tires.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
Meangreen79
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

3" Lift is more than sufficient for 23's. You do not want to go higher if you are already unhappy with handling. Just do some trimming of the rear bumper plastic and add rear wheel spacers if needed. I've never even had one rub with that setup but I do put rear spacers on. If you can get the alignment dialed in right, it can handle really good. My front tires are 3 years old and still look brand new with 3" Jakes and 23's.
Meangreen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO