lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Skydo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO Series Cart reverse only

Looking for some guidance. I have a 48 volt series cart that will operate in reverse but when I try to go forward the voltage drop under the min. range for the controller...like in the 35 down to 24 volt range. Batteries are good no issue there. Scotty B hooked me up with the upgrade kit so it is all good stuff.

Background:

This issue has happened intermittently over the last month. I looked at the F/R switch and noticed a bend in the passenger side mirco switch so I did straighten it but now it would move forward. The voltage just drops almost immediately.

Thoughts? And thanks for the help!
Skydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Series Cart reverse only

motor? dunno...seems likely-might do a motor test-check in the stickies....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Skydo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good idea. I did check it and everything is good with the connections and the motor.
Skydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would look closely at the forward and reverse contacts and cables. Nine times out of ten of the motor runs one way it will run the other way when the polarity is reversed. The fnr is what changes that. Look for burnt cables or where the contacts have been hot.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I know you said you checked the microswitch, but I had one that was showing continuity but wasn't getting a good enough connection to work. Same symptoms you're having, except mine ran only in forward.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You Can swap the 2 F&R cables at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and if the problem reverses itself the problem is the F&R but, it's still either the f&R micro switch(aka ms) or the F&R contacts.
The good news is the F&R ms is the same one for both directions. It is located on the drivers side of the F&R. If it works in one direction it works in the other UNLESS there is a problem with the toggling of trigger mechanism. LOOK at the switch trigger operation.

If the switch is triggering in F&R, but the cart runs in one direction, the high amperage contact has failed. This is a fatal failure and the switch must be replaced.... with something more HD
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, if it is the micro switch, the solenoid will not click when you try to go. If the solenoid is clicking and it doesn't go, then it will be the contacts.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Also, if it is the micro switch, the solenoid will not click when you try to go. If the solenoid is clicking and it doesn't go, then it will be the contacts.

This is where I had so much trouble diagnosing mine -- the solenoid was clicking but no movement. I ended up comparing resistance measurements through both microswitches while closed, and one was giving about 1/3 the ohms of the other. I cleaned the contacts and reinstalled, then the cart started working normally.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
This is where I had so much trouble diagnosing mine -- the solenoid was clicking but no movement. I ended up comparing resistance measurements through both microswitches while closed, and one was giving about 1/3 the ohms of the other. I cleaned the contacts and reinstalled, then the cart started working normally.
That's weird! If the micro switch passed enough voltage to close the solenoid it should have not made any difference. That's all the little wires and micro switches do, supply the activation circuit to close the solenoid.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO