lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v to 48v Conversion and battery setup!!

I know this question may have been asked several times however I could not find a post that specifically answer my question. I want to do a 36 volt to 48 volt conversion but I've just bought brand new batteries and wanted to get some more run time out of them. I have a 2000 EZGo Series golf cart. I was on this site a while ago and was recommended a 400 to 500 amp controller. So I decided to go with the pkg C42 by carts unlimited. My question is can I continue to run the 36 volt battery setup with the new upgrade kit so I can get some run time on my 5 month old batteries or do I have to upgrade to the 48v battery setup? I do realize that I can simply add two more batteries however I want a nice clean look and just want to go with the 6/8v setup. Another question I noticed that the options for their kits asks if you have a 6/6v or 6/8v setup...Is there a difference?
truviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v to 48v Conversion and battery setup!!

A 2000 txt series cart is already solid state. You don't need a conversion kit. C42 is inappropriate I think.

Am I right to understand you bought new batteries ~ 5 months ago and these are a 36v pack ? And now you want to use them for awhile at 36v but you want to start the upgrade process to 48v starting with the other drive components. Correct?

If you get the Alltrax controller (SR) in this case it is capable of 36 or 48v and you could install it now and run on 36v no problem. You could also get the heavy duty solenoid and install it concurrently because it is 36 and 48v capable.

When you are ready for 48v all you would need is the appropriate resister and diode (if the SR needs them) and of course the batteries and charger.

I did this a few years ago. Installed the controller (Alltrax SPM in my case) and solenoid. Ran the cart that way for a long time and when the batteries quit went to 48v. Controller did not need reprograming. (came from CU.)

Email Scotty and tell him exactly what you have eg: 2000 series TXT rear seat, tire size etc and how you use it. He will suggest the appropriate package. I would guess 484B or 485 in your case but do as he says. more info in = more and better info out.

Other things to consider: 8v batteries posts are on the same side so your cables may not reach if you go this way. Some battery meters are voltage specific and some not. F/R switch may need to be addressed depending on your use.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Any way to sell your new 6X6v pack to someone local?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
A 2000 txt series cart is already solid state. You don't need a conversion kit. C42 is inappropriate I think.

Am I right to understand you bought new batteries ~ 5 months ago and these are a 36v pack ? And now you want to use them for awhile at 36v but you want to start the upgrade process to 48v starting with the other drive components. Correct?

If you get the Alltrax controller (SR) in this case it is capable of 36 or 48v and you could install it now and run on 36v no problem. You could also get the heavy duty solenoid and install it concurrently because it is 36 and 48v capable.

When you are ready for 48v all you would need is the appropriate resister and diode (if the SR needs them) and of course the batteries and charger.

I did this a few years ago. Installed the controller (Alltrax SPM in my case) and solenoid. Ran the cart that way for a long time and when the batteries quit went to 48v. Controller did not need reprograming. (came from CU.)

Email Scotty and tell him exactly what you have eg: 2000 series TXT rear seat, tire size etc and how you use it. He will suggest the appropriate package. I would guess 484B or 485 in your case but do as he says. more info in = more and better info out.

Other things to consider: 8v batteries posts are on the same side so your cables may not reach if you go this way. Some battery meters are voltage specific and some not. F/R switch may need to be addressed depending on your use.
Thank you kernal for your input. I appreciate the advice and I will heed to it and contact Scotty and see what he suggests.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
truviking
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Any way to sell your new 6X6v pack to someone local?

gornmon I will probably put them on craigslist depending what i decide to do..Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO