lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Which Voltage Reducer?

I'm new to the sparky side of the forum - been on the Harley gas side for awhile.

I just picked up a stock 2014 CC Precedent, but unfortunately, I really don't know anything about electric carts. I want to add a voltage reducer so I can run 12V accessories, and I would like to be able to add a dedicated 12V bussbar to connect additional, future accessories as needed. I would also like the bussbar to be OFF when the key is turned off.

I've searched but didn't really find anything about a voltage reducer and using a buss. What would you recommend? Thanks!
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which Voltage Reducer?

We sell a little kit with a 30 amp reducer, negative buss bar, and 6 place fuse panel with fuses and splash cover for just $105 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
We sell a little kit with a 30 amp reducer, negative buss bar, and 6 place fuse panel with fuses and splash cover for just $105 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
Thanks, scottyb. I like the "plug-n-play" aspect of the Precendent reducer, but it's only 20A. I have a "plug-n-play" halogen light kit for the cart but I'm not sure how many amps it uses. My future accessories would be maybe an LED light bar (8-9 amps), LED interior lights (1-2 amps), bluetooth speaker charger (1 amp), etc., so I'm not sure if the 20A would be enough.

Looking at the schematic for, I think, the 30A reducer, it looks like there are only 3 wires to connect? Yellow to the key switch, red to positive battery pack, and black to negative battery pack. Then the green is the output to the fuse block, correct?

Where do people usually mount the reducer & fuse block on a Precedent? And do the red and black wires need to feed to the batteries under the seat or is there a connection point under the dash?

I'm REALLY sorry for all of the questions, but I hate electrical stuff and know that I am going to have to learn as much as possible if I want to keep and enjoy this cart. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Have any of you guys installed scottyb's 30A reducer and fuse panel combo? If so, where did you install it and how do you like it?

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get a reducer and there are so many different versions available. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
Have any of you guys installed scottyb's 30A reducer and fuse panel combo? If so, where did you install it and how do you like it?

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get a reducer and there are so many different versions available. Thanks!
yes scotys has it all i one kit but it is not "plug n play" you have to cut the plugs off and wire it in and wire the fuse box and ground bar also

you could get an OEM 30a one from revolution golf cars that is plug n play for the lights but you would need to wire in the fuse box and grounding bar for other 12v stuff

http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/_p...ecedent%2C-30a
Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
yes scotys has it all i one kit but it is not "plug n play" you have to cut the plugs off and wire it in and wire the fuse box and ground bar also

you could get an OEM 30a one from revolution golf cars that is plug n play for the lights but you would need to wire in the fuse box and grounding bar for other 12v stuff
Thanks, Crash Test. It looks like I would have to do a little custom wiring either way I go, which doesn't look very difficult.

Any opinion on which one is better, and where would I mount one?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought his kit, the issue with the plug and play kit is I don’t think it has a trigger wire(could be wrong) but I like to know when my key is off my accessories are off.

I mounted mine on the front wall of the battery compartment. Very simple install, pack positive and negative to reducer +\- in. Trigger wire off key switch. Reducer Pos/neg out to bus bar and fuse block.
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The club car plug and play one is the bomb.

Its also made by a great manufacturer and the chances of it failing are nil. Highly recommend.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The Plug and Play reducer is equipped with a trigger wire. The on/off trigger wire is all incorporated into the connectors. It's truly plug and play 100%. On a Precedent, it mounts in the factory location just behind the front suspension in the small metal opening just beyond the floorboard. A wire harness (included) runs behind the dash and connects to the factory light harness. It uses a "T-Style" connection with a male end and a female end. Will work with any Precedent light kit. If you're using accessories other than lights, simply splice into the Red (+) and Black (-) 12 volt output wires from the reducer and run them to a fuse block or ground block. It's very easy to do.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Thanks everyone for your comments - I really appreciate it! I think I will be ordering the plug-n-play reducer this week and then add my own fuse block and ground busbar. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car