lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default 1994 Medalist winter project

I've been working on restoring my first cart, a 1994 Medalist, 36v Series.
It's main use is going to be for golfing.
I bought the cart knowing the batteries needed to be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart a.jpg (183.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (93.5 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1994 Medalist winter project

I was able to get the cart to move by first charging the entire pack for a few days, then hooking up 2 12v automotive battery chargers to the 4 weakest batteries. (2 batteries per charger). I removed the metal cowl and body and purchased a used 2011 TXT body and cowl. I also blacked out the wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart b.jpg (161.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171012_140317.jpg (172.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
Sideways
Gone Wild

After removing the batteries I discovered the prev owner had partially replaced the battery box, as it had some poor patches welded in, I have since replaced.
I also discovered one of the terminals on the controller was loose and melted the controller.
Since this is a winter project I am still debating to upgrade to 48v or leave 36v.
I am adding headlights and taillights along with a 12v outlet and USB ports. I have ordered a voltage reducer and state of charge meter from Scottyb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contro.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I highly recommend the 48v upgrade. The difference over 36v is dramatic, especially in the series carts.
If you were to shop for a new cart, you would find all of them from CC, EZGO or Yamaha are 48v or more.
Since you have to buy a controller and batteries anyway all you really need in addition is a solenoid and charger. Plus if you get the right ones, besides being new, they are much better than came originally in the cart. Also cheaper than OEM replacements.
Likely the cart needs new wires either way. Don't skimp here. 4g at least with quality connections. If you go to 48v, keep in mind the posts on the 8v batteries are on the same side so the wires connecting the batteries are a little different length than for the 6v batteries.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For a Series cart I cannot stress strongly enough how important 48v operation is to decent performance .
I would not even consider building a 36v cart today. The majority of people who contact me performance complaints are running 36v, just like their Grandma did.

The Alltrax SR48500 & 400 super duty solenoid is the most popular upgrade for this cart. This will run the stock motor now and any aftermarket or rebuilt motor later. It's good for back seats and bigger tires, as well as hilly terrain.

If you want to save a little money look at the SR48400 & 200 solenoid. With a peak output of 460 amps it is close to yesterday's 500a models.

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I highly recommend the 48v upgrade. The difference over 36v is dramatic, especially in the series carts.
If you were to shop for a new cart, you would find all of them from CC, EZGO or Yamaha are 48v or more.
Since you have to buy a controller and batteries anyway all you really need in addition is a solenoid and charger. Plus if you get the right ones, besides being new, they are much better than came originally in the cart. Also cheaper than OEM replacements.
Likely the cart needs new wires either way. Don't skimp here. 4g at least with quality connections. If you go to 48v, keep in mind the posts on the 8v batteries are on the same side so the wires connecting the batteries are a little different length than for the 6v batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
For a Series cart I cannot stress strongly enough how important 48v operation is to decent performance .
I would not even consider building a 36v cart today. The majority of people who contact me performance complaints are running 36v, just like their Grandma did.[emoji38]

The Alltrax SR48500 & 400 super duty solenoid is the most popular upgrade for this cart. This will run the stock motor now and any aftermarket or rebuilt motor later. It's good for back seats and bigger tires, as well as hilly terrain.

If you want to save a little money look at the SR48400 & 200 solenoid. With a peak output of 460 amps it is close to yesterday's 500a models.

I hope this helps
I agree 100%! I also have a 94 medalist. I did my conversion over time starting with the controller. Since you need batteries and possibly a controller anyway I would go ahead and do it. I went from 11-13 mph to 18-19 with plenty of torque. It's the one in my profile pic.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Sideways
Gone Wild

ok, I might be a little hard headed but I get the picture.
48v it is. It will just take a little longer to finish the project. Scottyb please be patient with me...

Meanwhile my buddy that's repairing and painting the body sent me pictures today. Normally I would have done the work myself but I sold all my paint guns a few years back thinking I would not ever need them again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart d.jpg (99.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart e.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart f.jpg (120.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart g.jpg (112.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

OOOOOOOOHHHH! Stunning! But you broke Man Rule #2! NEVER, EVER sell your tools UNLESS upgrading!!!!! When you die, take them with you!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

looks like you have a great start on it. Cant wait to see how it turns out.
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
Sideways
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
OOOOOOOOHHHH! Stunning! But you broke Man Rule #2! NEVER, EVER sell your tools UNLESS upgrading!!!!! When you die, take them with you!
LOL, true dat!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO