lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT will not charge or go

Good morning all, I have a 2012 EZGO TXTE-48v Cart. The batteries are fully charged (51V) Cart will not move, backup alarm doesn't sound, charger will not kick on. Charger checked fine on other carts. Cart has sat for about 3 months with tow switch engaged. Everything worked fine when parked. Help please
fairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT will not charge or go

Sounds like the controller is not being powered up.

Without charger being connected, what is the voltage on the blue wire coming out of the charger port?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Should we assume you removed the charger plug and the cart will not go?

Below is the solenoid activation circuit. There needs to be 48v (+) at each end of every red line in the diagram when:
key on
cart in gear
pedal depressed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT48 solenoid activation.JPG (172.5 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

0 volts at charger port. Checked solenoid according to these specs....

2. Disconnect any cables from the two large terminals. Be sure to wrap the cable ends in tape, and keep the ends separate from each other.

3. With the key off, and the cart direction switch in a neutral position, set your voltmeter to ohms, and place a probe on each large terminal (see first image below). There should be no reading.
Open lead
Open lead

4. Now, with the cart's direction switch in the forward position, and the key on, step on the accelerator. You should hear a click coming from the solenoid. If you do...

5. Set your voltmeter to measure ohms, and place a probe on each large terminal (see image below). You should have a reading of 0 to 0.4 ohms. Anything higher, and it means that the solenoid has faulty contacts and should be replaced.

6. If you did not hear a click coming from your solenoid, then grab your voltmeter and set it to DC volts on the 200 scale, and place a probe on each of the small terminals.

7. With the key on and the cart in forward, step on the accelerator.

If the voltmeter shows full battery voltage, and there is no click, the coil inside the solenoid has failed and will need to be replaced.
If your voltmeter remains at 0, then there is a problem somewhere else in the cart.

Voltmeter remained at zero, so solenoid may be good
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the controller will think the charger is plugged in and disable if 0v on pin 5. I believe the default voltage is 5-8v (+) present all the time
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm pretty sure the 30A fuse on the board in the charger port is blown, or at least that would produce the symptoms you have.

I've never seen a 48V charging port, but I don't believe the fuse is replaceable due to the port being encapsulated in some kind of potting compound, so the entire port assembly will have to be replaced.

However, whatever cause the fuse to blow may still exist, so I would strip a little insulation off the blue wire coming out of the port and connect the red wire coming out of the port to it via a 30A pigtail fuse. (The new port assembly has the wires attached)

1. If the cart now runs and the charger works, you've found the problem.

2. If the pigtail fuse blows, there is a short in the battery pack or charging loop someplace that has to be found before installing a new charging port assembly.

Here are a couple pictures of the PCB in the port with the resin removed. (Thanks for the pix CG)
This is a RXV port, but I believe the TXT-48 port is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV charger receptacle board - Bottom.jpg (123.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RXV charger receptacle board - Top.jpg (67.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm pretty sure the 30A fuse on the board in the charger port is blown, or at least that would produce the symptoms you have.

I've never seen a 48V charging port, but I don't believe the fuse is replaceable due to the port being encapsulated in some kind of potting compound, so the entire port assembly will have to be replaced.

However, whatever cause the fuse to blow may still exist, so I would strip a little insulation off the blue wire coming out of the port and connect the red wire coming out of the port to it via a 30A pigtail fuse. (The new port assembly has the wires attached)

1. If the cart now runs and the charger works, you've found the problem.

2. If the pigtail fuse blows, there is a short in the battery pack or charging loop someplace that has to be found before installing a new charging port assembly.

Here are a couple pictures of the PCB in the port with the resin removed. (Thanks for the pix CG)
This is a RXV port, but I believe the TXT-48 port is the same.
Oooops, this probably won't work!
The blue wire isn't directly connected to the positive terminal. It goes through some circuitry to remove pack voltage from it when charger is plugged in.

On the other hand, connecting the red wire to the blue wire ought to get cart to run.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB..... You are a genius. Jumped the blue to red. Cart took off. Will replace charger port. Thanks!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

Replaced charger port & all is good!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairguy View Post
JohnnieB..... You are a genius. Jumped the blue to red. Cart took off. Will replace charger port. Thanks!!!
I've been called worse things.

I simply know how to troubleshoot and happened to have some rudimentary knowledge about how the 48V charge port works along with a couple pictures of the board that were taken by somebody else and posted on BGW.

I am concerned that whatever blew the fuse still exists. Suggest you temporarily place a 20A pigtail fuse between Red wire and battery pack's main positive terminal the first time you try to use the charger with the new port. It would be a $hame to blow the fuse on the new port.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO