lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default 2008 36V PDS cart.. solenoid engages with the F&R switch

and not with the pedal. I've already replaced the micro switch in the floor because it's almost like it's jumpered out. I think this is a contributing factor to my loss of power after riding it for a bit. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Has anyone else had this problem before?
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 36V PDS cart.. solenoid engages with the F&R switch

I apologize..after further inspection I found that the cart actually has an Alltrax DCS 400 controller. I also noticed the speed sensor is not used...is that the way these are suppose to be wired up?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is energized by the controller, so it sounds like the controller is being told to energize the solenoid before the pedal is pushed. That does indicate the pedal switch contacts are staying closed, but it could be the inline connector between the pedal box and J4 on the controller has a short between the red and green wires, or the controller is bad.

Trace the gray cable out of the pedal box and you should find a 4-pin connector where it goes through the frame. Disconnect that connector and if the solenoid no longer energizes when a direction is selected, cut the in-line connector out and connect the four wires individually.

I prefer solder joints, but crimp type butt splices will work. Protect splices with shrink tubing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
I apologize..after further inspection I found that the cart actually has an Alltrax DCS 400 controller. I also noticed the speed sensor is not used...is that the way these are suppose to be wired up?
The solenoid energizing for a few seconds when a direction is selected happens with some, but not all, DCX controllers in PDS carts.

The speed sensor is not used with a DCX controller. The DCX was designed to replace the DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX), which didn't have a speed sensor, and was adapted to replace a PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) when the DCS drive was replaced by the PDS drive in model year 2000.

Save the speed sensor and cable, you'll need it if you ever upgrade to the XCT controller.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
and not with the pedal. I've already replaced the micro switch in the floor because it's almost like it's jumpered out. I think this is a contributing factor to my loss of power after riding it for a bit. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Has anyone else had this problem before?
Is it total power loss or just partial?
Total could be the controller going into thermal shutdown.
Partial could be battery issues.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Johnnie B first I just wanted to say thank you this is all EXCELLENT info. I'll trace and see about the connector that shouldn't be too hard. Also I believe it was a total loss of power after riding and then allowing it to be ridden again after sitting; it was also described as not having enough power to be loaded on a trailer during power loss. I'm thinking thermal shutdown from what was described..I'm not very familiar with these controllers and wasn't aware that was something they did. Are there certain factors others that contribute to thermal shutdown other than constant riding? Could it be there's an internal issue causing this? According to my customer the run time isn't very long so I'm just trying to pin point what may be the factor..the batteries are '16 and so far are checking out but I'm going to continue to test them in the coming days.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Also it doesn't look like it has a HD solenoid or the F&R switch; not sure if that could be a factor.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it has a stock solenoid, that may be the problem, or part of the problem. Stock solenoid is only rated at 85A and is barely marginal with a stock controller.

The dash mounted F/R switch of a PDS cart doesn't carry much current, it just tells the controller which way to send the field amps through the field windings. If the cart runs, or tries to run, in forward and reverse, the F/R switch is okay.

When the cart loses power, check the LED on the controller for an error code. (Attached)

Batteries lose both storage capacity and performance when cold. Not being able to climb ramp onto trailer after being driven around some may simply be due to the low temperature.

Total power loss and running again after sitting for a few minutes sounds like the controller is going into over temp shutdown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX Error Codes.jpg (232.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Thanks again buddy this is all gold as far as golf cart info goes! This site rocks!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks again buddy this is all gold as far as golf cart info goes! This site rocks!
BGW ROCKS
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO