lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Relay Needed AFTER the 12V Reducer?

OK, I'm probably mish-mashing several wiring diagrams that either address fuse boxes OR relays, but am I correct that you do not need a relay AFTER a 12V reducer, in that the relay powers the reducer, correct?

Last edited by Buggieman18; 03-22-2018 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: graph
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
AZ.
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Relay Needed AFTER the 12V Reducer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
OK, I'm probably mish-mashing several wiring diagrams that either address fuse boxes OR relays, but am I correct that you do not need a relay AFTER a 12V reducer, in that the relay powers the reducer, correct?
Why do you want another contact in your circuit?.....What will you use to trigger the coil on your relay?....Make sure any relay is rated for the proper current, and voltage.
AZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

my reducer only pulls <10mah and the supplier told me yesterday that I don't need to worry about it. The batteries drain faster by sitting than it pulls. So right now I have no reducer and the pack is still at 51.1 volts off charge sitting for a few days.

After the reducer I don't see a need at all.
hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
AZ.
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper1 View Post
my reducer only pulls <10mah and the supplier told me yesterday that I don't need to worry about it. The batteries drain faster by sitting than it pulls. So right now I have no reducer and the pack is still at 51.1 volts off charge sitting for a few days.

After the reducer I don't see a need at all.
Correct, its just a transformer, and the magnetic lines of flux is what is causing the draw which is very minimal!

If people are worried, put in relay, and tie the coil to the switch...Every time we add to a circuit we add one more place for failer.
AZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are two reasons to use a relay on the 12v side of a converter (assuming 48v cart):
1) Your voltage reducer does not have a "trigger wire" and You would like to have all of your 12v accessories turned OFF when you turn the key switch OFF.
In this case you would use a 48v coil relay wired to the key switch and run the +12v output of the converter through the relay N.O. contacts.

2) You have an accessory that drains > 10 amps and the switch you have on your dash cannot handle the load.
In this case you would use a 12v coil relay wired to the switch and run the accessory +12v lead through the relay N.O. contacts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There are two reasons to use a relay on the 12v side of a converter (assuming 48v cart):
1) Your voltage reducer does not have a "trigger wire" and You would like to have all of your 12v accessories turned OFF when you turn the key switch OFF.
In this case you would use a 48v coil relay wired to the key switch and run the +12v output of the converter through the relay N.O. contacts.

2) You have an accessory that drains > 10 amps and the switch you have on your dash cannot handle the load.
In this case you would use a 12v coil relay wired to the switch and run the accessory +12v lead through the relay N.O. contacts.
Ah, yes these make sense.

Is there a more comprehensive wiring diagram that show every inline fuse, representative relays on either side of the reducer and fuse box, and representative toggle switches, main switch, radio and lights ? It's probably lot for one schematic sheet, but these are common combos that are often asked about and might be a candidate for a sticky. It seems I'm having to join up two or more schematics taken from the forum and I don't want to screw it up.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO