lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 DS series motor lacks power

Hello to all. I am new to the golf cart world. I purchased a 2003 Club car DS 48 volt series cart for my father in law. He recently had a stroke and can not get around. I thought this would give him some freedom. My problem is it lacks power up hills. I just replaced all the batteries with new ones and I have the same problem. I have check the connections and they are tight. I jumped across the relay to eliminate it and no change. I checked for brake drag, put 25 psi in the tires, etc... My other issue is when in reverse the cart does not move then once at full throttle it will rocket in reverse. Are these issues related? Thanks in advance.
acurti24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 DS series motor lacks power

Sorry. I jumped across the solenoid not the relay.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Any chance this is 36v resistor coil cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

To the best of my knowledge it is a 48 volt. Has 6 8 volt batteries, but how do I check?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

The serial number is AA0318-280096
Old 05-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That would appear to be a 48v series cart.

Does it have an MCOR underneath on the passengers side? Small black box the pedal linkage connects too? Or is it a V-Gliide (MSP) which is the pie shaped black box between the batteries?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

It has the MCOR. I already added the zip tie to the rod at the pedal to take up some slack. Also I checked the ohms on the yellow and green wire at the controller. I have 11,000 ohms key off pedal up and 1,110 ohms pedal to the floor. I got the wire colors and ohms data from reading other threads on this site. Drove the unit last night with GPS and it goes about 12-13 on flat ground and 9-10 up hills. One big hill with two people it dropped to 7 mph.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The MCOR's principle works of a 5 volt loop back to the controller. With the batteries connected, place the black (–) probe on packs main Negative post and the red (+) probe on the yellow wire at the 3-pin connector near the MCOR. (The reading should be approximately ~0.32vdc to ~0.5vdc with the pedal up). Slowly press the Go Pedal and the readings should increase until it reaches ~4.65vdc or more when the pedal is fully pressed. (Anything less than 4.60vdc and you are not reaching full throttle).

If that checks out, we will look at the output from the controller to the motor.

If everything checks out, you will be getting all that cart is capable of....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
acurti24
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information. I will check that tonight and let you know. I am starting to think I just bought a slow golf cart. If everything is working properly then I might send the motor to plum quick. Any thoughts on this with stock controller?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it is a stock series motor then it doesn't sound like the motor is bad 12-13 mph on a flat and 7-9 mph on a hill is normal. Check the microswitch on the reverse lever and make sure that it is making good contact when in reverse. Sometimes if the microswitch isn't fully making it will lurch like you described. If you want more speed or hill climbing you will have to get another motor. I put the Plumquick bandit in my 03 series DS and could cruise at 20-22 mph on stock controller on flat and 15-17mph on a fairly good hill.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car