lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
EZ Yeag
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2018 vs 2019 L6 electric EZ Go, What are the primary differences

New to the forum but would appreciate some guidance. 2018 vs 2019 L6 Elite 72 volt electric EZ Go, What are the primary differences? Recommendations?
This would just be a lake home kid hauler with minimal light trail exploration. We have a Polaris RZR Jagged X so this would not be needed to rock serious off roading just simple runs off pavement. I apologize if this has been answered already but upon searching I found zero relevant info
EZ Yeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2018 vs 2019 L6 electric EZ Go, What are the primary differences

Never tested a 2019, what does ezgo claim for difference? I can tell you that the 72v AC TXT I tested for range beats the RXV (rxv had 6x 8v trojan "DC-8v", their lower rate battery compared to T-875, DC8V installed from the factory) for range by nearly 50% for street use (can't remember if the Trojans were T-1275, or T-1260, I think 1260, also the lower rate battery on the TXT), and it didnt seem to have less power on tap (both held same on mild road hills, minimal speed loss). TXT was faster, but by significantly less than 1 mile per hour faster, was just programming differences (barely making small gains on a straightaway). All tests were performed in 100% stock configuration. Aside from the range test, What I can say is that the tuning/upgrade path on that txt does require more to "bypass stock specs" & get more speed than RXVs with software V 6.0 & prior. getting more speed was easy on 2012.5 till "recent" RXVs, new software has limited that. The 72v txt I tested also didn't have the "easy speed" I have been used to. I didn't get to do extensive testing to see what tuning could be done for "off-road" applications. Both carts had "typical stock tires" on them, as delivered, nothing special. My "less crazy BS like motor brakes" mind steers me to the 72v txt platform that I know is a tank & mechanically easy to repair.. (Sorry, it wasn't a "RXV vs 72v TXT" question).

So, what does ezgo claim to be different from '18 to '19 models that us dealers haven't been briefed on? (They aren't exactly helping us either).

Feel free to rake me over the coals for getting it wrong if I did! I don't spend much time at all on ezgos consumer website, and anything new will likely be on their website as soon, or before the dealers get wind of it. Right now, they let us be the last to know (they didn't tell us a bit about how "trakker" was gonna undercut all of us for textrons off-road stuff), they did us real dirty on that one. The rest of that one I will keep to myself for now......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

In 2019, they complicated the unlock process, added a routine in the controller OS to eliminate the ability to even communicate with the controller if you use a hacked aftermarket interface cable, and added more variables to the unlock process. Oh yea, on all of the 72V L6 controllers, you get 3 attempts to unlock it before the controller bricks itself. Unless you know how to unbrick it, you'll be buying a new controller.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
In 2019, they complicated the unlock process, added a routine in the controller OS to eliminate the ability to even communicate with the controller if you use a hacked aftermarket interface cable, and added more variables to the unlock process. Oh yea, on all of the 72V L6 controllers, you get 3 attempts to unlock it before the controller bricks itself. Unless you know how to unbrick it, you'll be buying a new controller.

Nice. Sounds like Apple now. Why bother to try to work on something you own?
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
EZ Yeag
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

BobBoyce
Have you had any experience with the new 2020 Lithium Ion L6 EZ Go carts?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
EZ Yeag
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Mr Boyce
I attempted to direct message you after researching this forum and seeing all of the praise people have given your way for advice, help etc but expectedly your inbox was full.

I am just getting into the market for a 6 passenger cart. I initially only focused on the EZ Go L6 Elite 6 passenger units. After test driving them today , as well as a 2019 gas version and a 2020 L6 6 passenger 48V Lithium Ion model, I am a little underwhelmed. I am 6’4” , 280 lbs and I felt the leg room on the EZ Go 6 passenger carts was really tight. Are you aware of any seat modifications to help alleviate this issue? I have a Polaris RZR and seat mods are readily available for RZRs, but I have not seen much for carts as far as structural seat mods.
Next, do you prefer the 72 volt, 48 volt lithium ion or gas EZ Go carts? I am purchasing this for our lake home and prefer a reliable, torquee people hauler to move our family from dock to horse pastures to simple trails to community pool then back home. I am a little lost after today’s test drives. The gas L6 was the most fun to drive today but not sure about the benefits or detriments of gas vs 72volt / Lithium Ion models.

Is it possible to upgrade the controller on a 2020 EZ GO 48 volt Lithium to improve speed / torque. I really liked the idea of the reliability and self containment of the Lithium Ion battery but felt the power band was really uninspiring.
Will any controller reprogramming void the 8 year battery warranty on the 2020 Lithium Ion units or the 72 volt units?
Anyway around this issue if I want to upgrade?

Lastly what are your opinions on the Club Car 6 passenger Onward lifted unit vs the EZ Go L6 Elite lifted carts?
Sorry for the novel but I wanted to attempt to voice my main concerns if I am fortunate enough to get a reply from you. ����
Old 09-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Avoid the 48V and avoid the Club Car, unless you like not being to alter it from stock without spending lots of $.

I don't do gas carts, electric only. I prefer the 72V for the potential that they have. I've had no troubles with the changes made in 2019 72Vs. I'm just waiting for them to throw a wrench in the works again so I can spring my next programming suprise on them. They are forcing me in a direction that will totally backfire on them, and return us to 50+ MPH capability that they will be unable to prevent with their VCL tricks.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
EZ Yeag
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Absolutely perfect feedback. Thank you sir
Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
cooperglee
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Bob - noticed you mentioned in this post that the 2019 controllers have become more difficult to “unlock” and if you fail 3 times the “brick” themselves... So since I have the requiste tools I would like to know in advance what not to do to break someone’s controller... I have historically been able to enable freedom mode when that variable is present and on other rxv / 5-2-5 models (SE) controllers that do not have the “freedom” variable been able to adjust the RPM limit of the various profiles... Please help me to understand what I don’t know so that I do not destroy someone elses controller...

Thanks!
cooperglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:12 AM   #10
crosstownexpress
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Avoid the 48V and avoid the Club Car, unless you like not being to alter it from stock without spending lots of $.

I don't do gas carts, electric only. I prefer the 72V for the potential that they have. I've had no troubles with the changes made in 2019 72Vs. I'm just waiting for them to throw a wrench in the works again so I can spring my next programming suprise on them. They are forcing me in a direction that will totally backfire on them, and return us to 50+ MPH capability that they will be unable to prevent with their VCL tricks.
Good morning, Bob!

We have a 2019 EZGO 72v EZGO Express L6 that will move forward and reverse but at a crawl.. talking less than a half mile per hour. We have worked on a few of these cars before but this is first one that has given us any issues.

No current faults in controller other than an intermittent motor stall.

We initially swapped speed sensor/encoder with no change. Client replaced solenoid prior to calling us.

Looking for any insight.

The more i read into this forum and especially what you stated about the controller "bricking," I am concerned that may be the issue.

Controller is a Curtis 1234SE.
crosstownexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO