lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Default New used 2008 CC DS IQ no go!

Just got my new/used cart home today. It drive up/down the trailer ramp, up driveway, in garage and outside to get washed. After wash, no start. No buzz in reverse.

I just checked dcv I’m getting 12v from each battery 4x12v. I’m getting 51v when I check the whole pack.

I’m guessing something got wet that wasn’t supposed to? That would be weird as this cart is straight from the golf course where it probably gets its share of water.

I plugged it into the charger (club car power drive). It went kinda wonky on the guage needle flopped back and forth. Left it alone then went to 0. Unplugged and plugged back in then it went to around 15 for a bit. Then like 30 minutes later I came out and it was at 0 again. Still nothing, no forward, no buzzing no reverse.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: New used 2008 CC DS IQ no go!

You can’t go crazy with the water hose around electronics. Sounds like you got water in the Forward Reverse switch. You can take that out and take it apart to dry it.
For now put the cart in Tow, leave the seat off and let everything dry out for a day or two.

As for the charger acting weird, this can happen if there is water in the charge receptacle on the cart. You could also have a loose positive charge lead at the pack positive terminal. Check that for corrosion or bad connection. Other reasons for that would be a failing OBC or a bad diode assembly in the charger. Let the cart dry out and try charging again and see if it has the same behavior.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You can’t go crazy with the water hose around electronics. Sounds like you got water in the Forward Reverse switch. You can take that out and take it apart to dry it.
For now put the cart in Tow, leave the seat off and let everything dry out for a day or two.

As for the charger acting weird, this can happen if there is water in the charge receptacle on the cart. You could also have a loose positive charge lead at the pack positive terminal. Check that for corrosion or bad connection. Other reasons for that would be a failing OBC or a bad diode assembly in the charger. Let the cart dry out and try charging again and see if it has the same behavior.
Ok cool thanks. I set it in tow, removed the seat (and the key). I’ll go remove the f/r switch in a bit and blow it out with the compressor then let it sit for a day.

What’s the proper procedure for charging?? The charger only has the guage that goes to 20 I think. No buttons or anything. I’m assuming I want the cart in run and key set to off when charging?? What do I look for on the charger? I’ve read charge it after every use. But what if I don’t use it for a couple weeks? Just leave it plugged in? Or when it goes to 0, unplug til after next use?
Old 02-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Just plug it in and leave it plugged in. Something like 15 days the OBC in the cart will turn the charger on for a maintenance charge, which is basically a quick top-off.

Since the cart is clean now is a good time to check the water level in the batteries. Typically something like 1/4” below the bottom of the fill hole is normal. If any cells need water top them up with distilled or de-ionized water only.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Just plug it in and leave it plugged in. Something like 15 days the OBC in the cart will turn the charger on for a maintenance charge, which is basically a quick top-off.

Since the cart is clean now is a good time to check the water level in the batteries. Typically something like 1/4” below the bottom of the fill hole is normal. If any cells need water top them up with distilled or de-ionized water only.
Ok thanks. I checked the water in the batteries after removing the f/r switch. They are all good. I really think this cart is good to go. It was in a fleet of them at the golf course. They recently upgraded to new carts so these were recently being used for golf daily. They had some older more worn Yamahas that were outside the cart barn that I thought were what they were getting rid of. But then they pulled 10 club cars out of the cart barn for sale. They all sold in one day.

Was it you that commented on my other thread about my cart having a 4port plug to program it? That’s when I thought it was a 2004/5. It’s a 2008 so I’m guessing it’s a different style cart/motor/controller?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

An IQ cart will have the programming plug somewhere. Early IQs it was on the bottom of the housing for the FnR switch. The later ones I think they moved but I don’t know exactly where. If nothing else a dealer should be able to plug into the programming port directly on the controller.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #7
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Ok good news. After drying out for a day and a half, removing the f/r switch and blowing that out etc. the cart goes again!! Woohoo! Thanks for all the advice. I’ll be more careful with the water from here on out.

Another issue I just noticed on the charger is the ground plug has been snipped off.

Do I need to replace this? I have a spare PC power cord I could use that should just wire right up (after I lop off the pc end). Thoughts??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC89E433-7912-4E3F-9E0A-8B6BE4365923.jpg (188.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Looks like someone was maybe using a two prong extension cord and cut the ground prong off. You can remove the cover on the charger and replace the cord. Be sure the cord is the same gauge wire you have now.

As long as you make sure the area is dry you can get by the way it is. Years ago homes were only wired as two prong plugs.

You could replace just the plug with a good quality one from an electrical supply. house if. Done correctly that would be just fine.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Mostly the ground in the cord keeps the box from being live if a wire inside runs through and touches the case. Since it’s a metal case, it’s a good idea to replace the cord. I’ve replaced plenty of them on my chargers. It’s really easy on the Powerdrive Chargers. I think the original cord is 14awg on those and you need to replace it with the same wire size. I get replacement cords at Lowe’s.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Mostly the ground in the cord keeps the box from being live if a wire inside runs through and touches the case. Since it’s a metal case, it’s a good idea to replace the cord. I’ve replaced plenty of them on my chargers. It’s really easy on the Powerdrive Chargers. I think the original cord is 14awg on those and you need to replace it with the same wire size. I get replacement cords at Lowe’s.
Cool thanks.

PC/Server cords vary from 18-14awg. I have lots of spares so I will use one of those. Just lop off the PC/Power Supply end and I'm good to go.

Anything to be aware of when inside the charger? Obviously it will be unplugged but I know some stuff can maintain voltage after being unplugged. Don't plan to touch anything I shouldn't just like to be informed before I start taking covers off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car