lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charger Cable Reel

That's pretty high... an anything that has the potential to run for more than 3 hours is considered a continuous load which should be rated at 80% of capacity. Meaning, if it really runs at 19.5amps while charging it should be on a 25amp breaker with #10 solid wire... maybe it just has a max of 19.5 for a short time. Otherwise that's not very safe and probably isnt UL listed either.

This made me look into it a little further... so on the AC side it draws max of 8 amps, on the DC side, it pushes 13.5-18 amps. That's much more like it.

And to answer the OP, you should be able to make it work a cable reel, theres no good reason it shouldn't that I can think of right now. Even voltage drop shouldnt hinder the charge, that spec sheet say it works down to 100vac.
StumpNocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2020, 12:20 AM   #12
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNocker View Post
And to answer the OP, you should be able to make it work a cable reel, theres no good reason it shouldn't that I can think of right now.
The generation of heat in the cord and the cord being enclosed in a reel which which limits cooling "may" be a dangerous combination. A cable reel may be great for a 100 W trouble light ... it may be not be so good for a 650 W or often higher powered charger.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
The generation of heat in the cord and the cord being enclosed in a reel which which limits cooling "may" be a dangerous combination. A cable reel may be great for a 100 W trouble light ... it may be not be so good for a 650 W or often higher powered charger.
650w at 120vac is less than 6 amps and not likely to cause a heat issue. But I do get what you are trying to say, and it's always a good idea to be cautious.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Charger Cable Reel

Quote:
650w at 120vac is less than 6 amps and not likely to cause a heat issue. But I do get what you are trying to say, and it's always a good idea to be cautious.
If that charger is only drawing 6amps it's going to take a long time to charge those batteries. The longer cord is going to drop the amps even more so it will take awhile depending on how long a cord you end up with.

With that said, for a 48 volt golf cart, 13 amps has been found to be the right balance between charging speed and long-term battery stress. For a 36 volt battery charger, 21 amps is standard. You'll want to avoid purchasing a charger with low amperage (2-5 amps) as it will take forever to charge your batteries.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
If that charger is only drawing 6amps it's going to take a long time to charge those batteries. The longer cord is going to drop the amps even more so it will take awhile depending on how long a cord you end up with.

With that said, for a 48 volt golf cart, 13 amps has been found to be the right balance between charging speed and long-term battery stress. For a 36 volt battery charger, 21 amps is standard. You'll want to avoid purchasing a charger with low amperage (2-5 amps) as it will take forever to charge your batteries.
Absolutely correct if that was the DC amps. However, the 6 amps is on the AC side of the unit.

We can look at it like this: It takes this charger 6-8 amps of AC current draw to push 13.5-18 of DC current to the batteries.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #16
rib33024

Quote:
Absolutely correct if that was the DC amps. However, the 6 amps is on the AC side of the unit.

We can look at it like this: It takes this charger 6-8 amps of AC current draw to push 13.5-18 of DC current to the batteries.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #17
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The spec sheet indicates less than 8 amps on the AC side ... too much to use with a cord reel in my opinion considering a long charge cycle.

The higher power Summit 1050 watt charger uses less than 12 amps ... and you really would not want to be using a cord reel for that one either.

The cord reel is OK for a 100 watt trouble light in my opinion.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Could you not rewind cord wheel with heavier wire and a shorter length just long enough to reach charger while still having benefits of reel cord to connect to charger? Pull down power cord a nice convenience opposed to extension cord laying on garage floor.

FYI I use a 10’ 14 guage extension cord to charge mine with no problems.
120 volt battery charger receptacle from plug to charger is 14 gauge wire.

My charger( factory 2012 yellow/ black cheap charger) is cart mounted connected to a male outdoor receptacle for extension cord to plug into.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:48 AM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Could you not rewind cord wheel with heavier wire and a shorter length just long enough to reach charger while still having benefits of reel cord to connect to charger? Pull down power cord a nice convenience opposed to extension cord laying on garage floor.

FYI I use a 10’ 14 guage extension cord to charge mine with no problems.
120 volt battery charger receptacle from plug to charger is 14 gauge wire.

My charger( factory 2012 yellow/ black cheap charger) is cart mounted connected to a male outdoor receptacle for extension cord to plug into.
You could absolutely re-wire the reel with appropriate wire & be fine. (Good cord & not too long) That wasn't in question as far as I know. I thought we were talking about a long reel of 16g cord.

I have a "garden hose reel" of crap orange extension cord (was once over a quarter mile long). It was not of much use besides lights, and maybe a car 12v 10a battery charger. (12v isnt the same as a cart charger, doesnt draw 10a @ 120v ac).

Yes, it was ridiculous amounts of cord, much of that is taken off there. I got a "extension cord deal" at a yard sale from a guy who had over a mile of orange cord. Crazy, right?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #20
worleytech
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The wire size is not the only consideration when picking a recoil cord reel.
The contacts that rotate inside the reel have to be heavy enough to carry the desired current. Just rewinding the reel with larger wire is a bad idea.
We do have #12 gauge wire reels at work. Huge units but the entire thing is rated for higher current.

Found several 12 gauge reels thru a Google search "12 gauge recoil reels".
Just pick your vendor of choice.

Northern Tool has their cheapest at $80 for 40' length.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0257_200660257

Cut the ends off & replace with opposite sex to make it mountable on cart, camper, toolbox, work truck, trailer, welder cart or whatever, then pull the female end out to a receptacle with the charger, or whatever, plugged in permanently.
worleytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO