lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Marathon New Wheels Rubbing

So I was all excited to come home today and install my new lift and wheels...and it has been nothing but problems

First, the Monroe shocks were hitting the lift blocks/plates on the one corner...ok fine, I ground off the corners and they fit. Moving on.

Next, I went to test fit one of the wheels on the drivers side. Fits on, seems good to go, one of the new lug nuts doesn't have threads cut in it...wtf? Ok fine, I can use the originals until I get that figured out

Now onto the problem I need some direction with. The wheels are tires are from Golf Cart Tire Supply. This is the set I went with . They are 3/4 offset and the tires are 22x11x12, which is a size I saw recommended for an EZGO with a 4" lift. The problem is that the passenger side tire rubs on the the part of the spindle that controls the steering. Enough that the wheel won't even rotate unless I really force it. I have no idea of the history of the cart, so I don't know if it was crashed and repaired and that's my issue or not. When I look at the part in question, the area where its welded to the main body of the spindle looks a little suspect...like it was a piece of bar stock someone welded on. Its not completely flush and it almost looks off-centered on the shaft. I tried looking up pictures of OEM parts to compare, but didn't come up with much. I did find some pictures that almost make it look like the bar is supposed to have a bend about halfway back that would give me the clearance I need. I have a welder/grinder/etc, I'm just looking for the best way to fix it. Cut it at the spindle body and weld at a different angle? Cut it in the middle and put a bend it it, then re-weld? Spend another $60-$80 on 1" spacers? I realize adjusting that angle will throw off the alignment, but it looks like I have a good amount of adjustment to correct it (if Im thinking correctly). I have included some pictures to hopefully show what I mean...Thanks for any help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (549.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (58.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (65.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (65.2 KB, 0 views)
BLK MAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1991 Marathon New Wheels Rubbing

So after being woken up in the middle of the night by one of my techs my brain wouldn't shut off, so I think this is the path I am going to take. Red line is where I will cut. I will then bend the bar away from the wheel to create clearance and re-weld. Quick and dirty math says if I bend it by 1/16" at the cut line, it will give me a little over half an inch of clearance, which should be enough. I will then have to shorten the rack extension heim joint, but it looks like I have more than enough threads to do it. By cutting it between the rack extension and the tie rod I shouldn't mess with the toe. However, I still plan to go thru and do an alignment once completed. I did find an entire axle assembly from an '87 marathon on ebay and it looks like the passenger side spindle has the 'bend' in it that I would need to clear the new tires...making me think even more mine was repaired. Once winter comes, the cart is being torn completely down, rust removed and repainted, so disregard how ugly it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4rev.jpg (124.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ebay.jpg (338.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
binder49
Gone Wild

I had the same problem with my 1995 Medalist with a 4 inch lift and 22 inch tires on 1o inch rims. I found some thick washers the fit the studs and placed them between the wheel and the hub. Problem solved.
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder49 View Post
I had the same problem with my 1995 Medalist with a 4 inch lift and 22 inch tires on 1o inch rims. I found some thick washers the fit the studs and placed them between the wheel and the hub. Problem solved.
I tried this route originally, but it wasn't enough. I'm pretty convinced now the cart was crashed. I see what looks like some tweaking of the front axle and the part of the spindle I had to modify definitely doesn't look original. I was able to cut and weld the spindle and it came out great. It looks just like the pictures I have seen of other spindles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201009_190838_copy_2016x4147.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201009_191230_copy_2016x980.jpg (375.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201009_193427_copy_2016x4147.jpg (60.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201010_135328_copy_2016x980.jpg (468.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO