lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
mgutting
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2007 Ezgo Series to Lester 1050w Charger

Hi All - The amount of information on this forum is great and I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge. I haven't found much on the question I have. I'm looking for to get the the Lester 1050W charger. I currently have a 2007 Ezgo Series cart with a "D" Style plug and a 36V Ezgo Delta-Q standard charger. Can I just buy the Lester 1050W charger with the "D" Style plug and is it plug and play or is there other preparations I need to do?

The reason I want the lester is that in the near future, I will be updgrading to 48V and I will need to get a new charger for that.
mgutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 Ezgo Series to Lester 1050w Charger

I have that charger and a 2000 model TXT. Yes it is plug n play as it will auto detect the pack voltage. You can order it with the D style plug. When I converted the cart to 48v I left the charger receptacle as it was (D style).
The reason 48v carts have a different charge receptacle is to keep people from plugging a 48v charger into a 36v cart. Not likely to happen in my case.
I got my Lester from here: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html because he is a site sponsor with competitive pricing. Also he offers the option to order the charger with with an sb50 plug end and various optional extensions for different carts/receptacles. I have an RXV also. I ordered the D style extension and the RXV style extension so with quick swap I could charge either cart with the same charger if needed.
The lester has a nice phone app but you have to be very close to the charger to use it. Also while you are using it the charger flashes all its lights. Looks like a malfunction but its not.
One more thing. I've had this charger a year+ now. I'm using it on my TXT with Crown batteries that are approaching 7 years old. These batteries were approaching end of life last year but the Lester has kept them going and even brought them back to life a little. Could easily do 10-15 miles on a charge this summer without range anxiety. I'm impressed so far. YMMV
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
mgutting
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Kernal - Appreciate the time and detailed response. For sure, I'm looking to buy it from Carts Unlimited. I'll look into the SB plug and extension option. As a follow up question, you haven't seen any issues/concerns with the increased amps from the Lester 1050W on the charging receptacle wiring?
Old 12-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No. Cart is 20 years old. The charge receptacle and wiring are original including the reed switch. No issues. The caveat if any is that this cart never saw fleet duty and I'm the original owner.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
mgutting
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Awesome Thanks.. We'll give it a go..
Old 12-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In almost every case 36v operation and charging is at a higher amperage than 48 volts. This is because OHMS law aka amps plus volts = watts. Watts being work done, so higher voltage draws less amperage. Typically 8v batteries hold less amperage than 6v batteries so the charge rate is proportionately lower. Like where you see a recommended 20 amp charge for a 200 amp 6v battery, you see just 18 amps recommended for 180 amp 8v.
As a result we have seen no issue with any model 36v charge plug used for 48v assuming it's in good condition.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
mgutting
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty - Everything seems to be in good conditions. I'll give it a try. Any Christmas specials going for Chargers??

Tags
lester charger "d" plug
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO