lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
neilskinner
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 Marathon starting from scratch

Hello all,

I came across a free three wheeled 1988 Marathon electric that basically is a frame, body, and motor. Frame is in good shape, just needs painting/covered.
No batteries. I just wanted to see opinions on if it is worth trying to restore to original. I haven't tested the motor yet, but I plan to this week sometime. I don't mind electric, but I know some like to convert to gas if it is more economical. If it is economical to attempt to restore in either way, then I may have some follow up questions on what retrofits could be done to the electric system, since I would have to get all new anyway. For example, should I upgrade to 48 volts or keep 36 volts since that was the original. I am new at this so I just thought I would start here :)
neilskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 Marathon starting from scratch

Hi Neil and welcome.

if it were me....and had what you have and wanted to make it a reliable working cart. first thing I would do is to gut the whole drive system and replace it with modern Electronics from a late 90's or 20's vintage drive system, and would use an upgraded (higher amperage) aftermarket controller. and seeing as how you probably don't want to attempt to "hotrod" it....you would be fine with keeping it 36v....but seeing as how you would be buying all new batteries anyway, I personally would go 48v as a 48v system is lower amperage and electrically easier on the system in the type of duty you would be using it for....not to mention, just by going from 36v to 48v you would get 33% more speed/torque available to the system.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
coosa
Gone Wild

Here's my opinion, and it's just an opinion, and worth what you paid for it: there is a reason the cart was free. It's a 3 wheeled cart and they have been obsolete for a long time. If you fix it up and ever decide to sell it, I believe it will be very difficult to get your money back.

By the time you buy a set of batteries, a controller, solenoid, wiring harness, battery cables, and other items you are gonna need, you will likely have spent over $2000 and will still have a 3 wheeled cart that few people would want.

I think you would be much better off to look for a cart from the 2000 to 2010 era. In my area, you can usually find one with bad batteries for $500 or so. Put your $2000 into that cart and when you are finished you will have a nice cart that can easily be sold if you want to move on from it.

Good luck deciding what to do.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
neilskinner
Not Yet Wild

Thanks both for your recommendations. After considering your thoughts, it probably is best to just scrap it all together. Or at the very most, put a 212cc in there with a reverse box and turn it in to a go-kart. At least I wouldn't have very much money in at that!
neilskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO