lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default PLEASE HELP! TXT PDS36v converted to 48v TXT won’t run

So I had a 2006 36v ezgo txt pds cart with the forward and reverse switch on the dashboard. I purchased Navitas motor and controller conversion kit which was straightforward. I also had to replace the 36v wire harness with the 48v harness. I also installed a new delta charger port.

In addition, I ordered 4 batteries from allied lithium and wired them in series. I installed them and then I charged the batteries and then I took the cart for a spin. It flew down the street about 1000 feet and then it suddenly died. Everything literally shutdown. I pushed the cart back to my garage and tested the 4 batteries with my multimeter. I found one battery was only showing 4v. I called allied and they sent me another battery. I swapped out the bad battery with the new one. I charged the pack and then tried to take it out for another spin but it wouldn't power up at all. I tested the 48pack with a multimeter again andit was all over the place. This is where i'm currently at. I have attached 3 videos that document what I've done and my testing efforts.

I think if you watch all 3 videos in order you will be able to tell me whats the problem is. In one of the videos I was literally able to plug in the golf cart charger, jack it up and was able to press the gas pedal and the wheels spun and everything was working. And to throw in, while it was running on the charger it showed no error codes from the navitas, everything works smoothly, headlights, radio worked, everything while connected to a charger.

My thinking is that if the cart ran by itself initally and if I can plug in the charger and the cart runs on jack stands with charger plugged in, it can't be the wiring unless there's something I'm not thinking about....

Please help me, I just spent 3000 on allied batteries and I have a golf cart that doesn't run so I'm panicking.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Thank you in advance.
lotus197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
bryanwood74
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! TXT PDS36v converted to 48v TXT won’t run

Did you install a 48v controller? Also did you change out the 36v motor? I know the motor can take 42v but is very abrupt at 48v from reading here. My first inclination would be the controller.
bryanwood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the over voltage set to?

Looks like you have 67V at the pack and that is a bit on the high side for a 48V system.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi, thanks for replying. Its a 48v navitas txt tac 2.0 controller and the matching 5kw motor that runs with it. It a whole set so its designed to work with each other, regardless of what it is. It clearly drove down the street 1000ft with no difficulty before losing juice. Also its not an RXV, the PDS TXT has a simple main wire harness so you really can't mess things up when converting from 36v to 48v. Again everything is fully functional when the golf cart is plugged into a charger as shown in the video.

JohnnieB
So happy you responded! I swear this forum is built on you, scotty and cgtech. Anyways...when you ask about the overvoltage, do you mean what the max is on the charger because its states on the charger 58.5v. If that's not what you mean, please tell me what that means and how can I get you that information?

I'm also wondering could it be something wrong with the charging port? Based on the video, did I wire the charging port correctly? I ran the red wire and the wire with the small black block to the main pos+ and the long black wire to the Main Neg- and then I plugged in the little blue wire with the plug ending to the orange wire on the harness that has the other side of that plug.

JohnnieB-Are you able to look at that video 3 and tell me if I wired the charging port correctly?

I don't understand how that charging port works and what all the wires do. Does the charging port or the charger or the BMS inside each battery have any part in regulating how much juice gets delivered to the batteries? Could the charging port wiring be the culprit? Whats the purpose of that blue plug to orange wire? Could that be an issue?

Or could my problem be the allied lithium charger that was sold to me with the batteries? I stuck my multimeter prongs into the end of the delta charger and it reads 58.5.

I refuse to believe that it's anything other than the battery pack or charging system around it because everything functions fine when the golf cart is plugged in!

Finally, I just tested the 4 batteries today (4 days after the video) and each battery reads the following....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XgZRJYvxxmitH7KG9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ASshpifhgdzsKsH5A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NW45oEwtUWpeTQDY6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/46ua17wEdpqs7jYD9

How do you explain that? The video shows 2 batteries with voltage out of wack and now its only one?!?
Old 02-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #5
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can empathize with that lump in your throat after spending a bunch of money for something that should be easy and it’s not. The good news is it worked and will work again. Sure is frustrating tho! Hang in there. I’ll be watching—my bunch of money still hasn’t arrived.
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did I hear your video correctly - 64mV across the pack?

In your later photographs you show all batteries at 13+v, except the one in the top left which is 0.5v.
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If voltage readings are making you pull your hair out... meaning they are all over the place and inconsistent then a new battery in the meter is called for.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

At 1:48 in Video-1, your meter appears to be reading 67.4V or 67.9V, so I didn't watch further.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
lotus197
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty can you at least tell me if I wired the charging port correctly? (watch video 3)

If someone can tell me the charging port is wired properly then I can at least go after the battery company and ask for warranty services.

I'm trying to rule things out.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not Scotty, but it ran, so the blue wire is connected to the controller correctly.

The heavy Red wire goes to B+ and the heavy Black wire goes to B-, so three of the four wires out of the charge receptacle are correct and the forth one is temperature sensor that has no electrical connection to the battery and can be connected to any of the battery pack terminals.

In other words, the charge port appears to be wired correctly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO