lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Casserdy
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo 36v 2005 will not move

I just got this buggy and was told it just needed batteries. I replaced the batteries and still no start. I’m not familiar with electric carts but have been trying to figure this problem out. The reed switch is gone all together from the charger plug box but there is a red and white wire going to battery positive which I think is a by pass for this. Also there is no resistor or diode between the large posts on the solenoid could someone tell me if these are needed and would they keep the cart from running also I put a new solenoid it is 36v from Napa. 87$ when I put this solenoid on the small terminal on the left side turned about 1/4 turn when tightening did I mess it up by doing this? I don’t know if any of this is correct just saying some of the things that I’ve noticed. Thanks cassidy
Casserdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo 36v 2005 will not move

You need to tell the board what kind of drive system you have - it will either be a series or PDS. You are supposed to have a diode and a resistor on your solenoid, but I don't think that would keep it from moving. Someone smarter than me will be along to help you, but they will need to know the drive system. Good luck with it.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the Reed Switch has been bypassed. That is good.

The amp rating of the contacts in a NAPA part # ST89 solenoid is only 40A wike the stock solenoid is 85A, so it isn't going to last long. In fact, the stock solenoid is only marginal for the job, should be 100A or more since the controller will pass either 275A (series drive) or 300A (sepex drive).

Also, look around a bit for parts, you can get the stock EZGO solenoid for $20 and the NAPA solenoid is over twice that on ebay.

The resistor and diode are not needed to run cart. They are needed to prolong the usable lifespan of the solenoid contacts and the pedal switch respectively.

Need to know drive type to troubleshoot. Guide attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Casserdy
Not Yet Wild

I’m sorry TXTPDS is what is on the sticker under the seat. Rocker switch on the dash 1206-Mx looks to be the controller 36v 275a and those numbers I’m getting from the picture not off the controller itself. When I do the diagnostic check I get 4 beeps then 2-1,2-1,2-1, 2-1 d we hitch refers to low battery but the pack is showing 38 volts. Just trying to give you guys all the info that I’ve pieced together. Thanks for the help with this
Old 02-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check voltage On J1 pins 4 & 5.
Should be full battery pack voltage on them, 38.2V when fully charged.

Check voltage on the solenoid's controller side large terminal after the solenoid clicks.
Should be the same as the battery pack voltage.

Check voltage on J3 pins 1, 2, 3 & 4.
Should be pack voltage.

I'm not sure where the controller senses pack voltage, but J1 Pin-5 is the prime suspect. Pin-5 is fed by the small red wire connected to the solenoid's battery side large terminal, so it ought to have pack voltage on it 100% of the time. In their infinite wisdom, EZGO split that red wire inside the wiring harness and ran the continuous wire to the beeper and the unreliable sonic weld spliced wire to the controller. Fortunately the splice isn't very far into the wiring harness.

Here are a few drawing that may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Jacks Pin-1 in red.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
Casserdy
Not Yet Wild

I have 38 v on 4 and 5 and at the battery pack and at battery side big terminal of solenoid
Old 02-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Casserdy
Not Yet Wild

1-0v 2-0v 3-0v 4-38v 5-38v 6-2.5v 7-2.5v 8-0v 9-0v 10-34.5v
This is each terminal for J1 tow switch on run key on FandR in F no accelerator pressed still no click when I do press accelerator
Old 02-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casserdy View Post
1-0v 2-0v 3-0v 4-38v 5-38v 6-2.5v 7-2.5v 8-0v 9-0v 10-34.5v
This is each terminal for J1 tow switch on run key on FandR in F no accelerator pressed still no click when I do press accelerator
You've got 38V on Pin-4 and 0V on Pin-1, so the voltage is not getting through the Run/Tow switch, or through the controller to the R/T or from R/T to Pin-1.

Here's a drawing I posted earlier with the voltage paths through the controller and switches to the yellow wire on the solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths to solenpoid highlighted.jpg (143.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
Casserdy
Not Yet Wild

I have 38v on my j3 3 pin and when I switch I have it on my j4 going back to the controller but nothing coming back out on my 1 pin j1 does this mean my controller is bad? Thank you for your help with this Johnnie I do appreciate it sorry I’m not very good with electricity I’m a little better with wood than wires.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:27 PM   #10
Casserdy
Not Yet Wild

I have no battery light or back up beeper. I’m going to try again after work tomorrow thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO