lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Bit the bullet and doing a cheap build on G9/G2

Howdy y'all... Been a lurker for awhile and started a project. From what I can see...many say a "post ain't sh!+ without pics". We started our project a few days ago, and thought...heck, maybe someone else would be interested in a little project on the cheap, as maybe others have the family, mortgage, vehicle payments, kids, etc.... So here's my humble post build...

So we are off to go back to Banks for our annual group camping trip. Been tired of packing coolers from the boat back to the rental house and camp sites. A few years back we saw a fam with a cart, and we thought how bad a$$ that would be to move chairs, coolers full of ice, beverages, BBQs, pop ups etc... The hill is steep and about 300-400 yards from where the boat is moored.

Well.....here comes the trip and I'm off to CList & OfferUp to find one. Nothing like a deadline to make stuff happen eh? This is what we started with....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mobilecascade; 07-26-2016 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: Title misspelling via cell phone
mobilecascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Bit the bullet and doing a cheap bulls on G9/G2

Of course Momma was "You brought home what?!?" :). Explained that this $400 cart would be a hit. Everything works, runs and stops. Surprisingly, she was "in"... And like shoes or clothes, says the gold wire spoke hubcaps have gotta go... Well.. Y'all know what that means...wheels and tires! And if we are gonna spend some $ on wheels and tires, that would probably involve putting a lift on. ��

So off to the forums I am. (Like many of us new guys) to try to gain insight and ideas, pros and cons, etc from so many posts. I have a hell of a time even doing a "search" like so many say to do because it's like a black hole once you start doing "research".

Decided on a 6" jakes lift... Went to the sponsors and found Jasons Golf Carts... Looked them up and ordered a lift. Had no idea what I was getting myself into, but our 11 y/o Cole was psyched to have a new project.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got the package... (Fast shipment BTW)... And off Cole goes to put on "his lift"

Stripped the top off, drilling 16,000 pop rivets, set it the back yard and wheeled her in...

Did it all himself, once I showed him how to use the impact gun. A few questions, but he did do it all... Definitely a proud Dad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

A few more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #5
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 AM   #6
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Bit the bullet and doing a cheap buuid on G9/G2

Soooo... He's stoked the lift is on... And he goes to put the wheels on as I pour a Happy Dad beverage... Uh oh... The stock wheels don't fit over the tie rod extension blocks. ��

Told him to try to start one lug so we could set it down on the ground... And that's about what you will get with an 8" wheel...

He's bummed... Apparently he sent a text to a "friend". (Name is Brooklyn... A girl...."friend" who lives a 1/4 mile away) that he wanted to stop by and say hi.. Lol.

Back to online and called our local Les Schwab.... On the end, due to Jasons Golf Carts being so great and fast, I called them up and he said 10"ers would clear. Then it was the decision on tire diameter... Hmmm well, being it is stock and no mods (yet)... Was suggested to go with 20's for now. Explained the end use and looking for all terrains. He had a package for us that we agreed on and off to an order and ship we go.... (Remember I told my wife this was going to be "on the cheap".... ��)

Shhhhh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #7
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well hell. Dunno why it's upside down.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So the next day, organized the garage and found some old MTK paint from a past 81 CJ5 project. Popped the top and saw still a 1/3 gallon. Looked around some more and found reducer, filters, top coat hardener and a few spray guns.

Well... Back to the forum for "research". Ran down to the auto paint store and asked for bomb can adhesion whatchamacallit. And back home I go...

Scotch bright, few rolls of tape, few towels over the front end, a lot of removal, and we are off! Hit it with some one step high build primer. Then to mix paint..

So the hardener says "use within 90 days of opening". Hmmm. 90 days/5-6 years...Meh, cant be that bad.. ;) What could it really do.. It was free in the garage and available... why not?

Yeah.... Threw it in and made a pot. Used our old wheelbarrow compressor from my framing days, threw on a filter and water thing and we were off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (45.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry... Don't know why they are still upside down... Using my phone to do the post.

Remember I said cheap. As you can see, and if y'all recall, we leave in a few days, so masking was my option rather than strip the whole shebang down. It's a golf cart, not a Hot Rod, so I went with remove what I could, mask what I can...

Found a few cans of UPOL bomb can primer... tossed that on, did a quick once over with wax/degreaser... and ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (46.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
mobilecascade
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

And this is how she came out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (44.2 KB, 0 views)

Tags
electric, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts