lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 295 Robin 4cycle Hard turn over

1994 EZ-GO Marathon
295 Robin 4 cycle

I rebuilt the motor last Spring (New pistons, rings, gaskets). Ever since rebuild it turns over very hard. I ran it last summer like this. Can't turn the clutch by hand, had to carry a wrench with me and turn the motor to compression release in order for the starter to be able to turn the motor over and start. Once started it runs fine. But otherwise the starter will turn and just slowly slip under the belt and not turn the motor.

Around 100psi for compression in both cylinders
Valves set to .004

Please Help! I am out of ideas. Hopefully its something simple that I am missing, otherwise if I have to take the motor apart again I will.
R3dkni9ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 295 Robin 4cycle Hard turn over

There was somebody on here a few months ago that had a stiff crankshaft while rebuilding. It was possibly Gearhead. Anyways, I believe the rods had the caps switched from original. That caused it to be tight. 100 psi compression is low for that engine. You should be in the 150-165 range.

I would have said weak starter, but you can't turn it over by hand either. That means there is an internal binding. Take both sparkplugs out, and see how it turns then.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

does this engine have a built in compression release?

some small (ex: Honda) engines have them built in for easy starting. This would make it hard to turn over by hand and give a low compression reading?
It could be faulty or not adjusted properly.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That's very interesting Cart Around. Its very possible I could have gotten the rod caps switched around cause I didn't think they differed at all. I do remember the motor being VERY tight when torqueing the rod cap bolts to spec when putting it back together and actually had to back them off some cause I thought I had the wrong torque spec or my torque wrench wasn't right. Later tonight I will take the plugs out and try turning the motor over and if it still turns over hard I will look at taking the side engine cover off and switching the rod caps. Thank you for the idea, never would have thought of that.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

rods and their caps are machined together(also directional) so if the rod caps are switched they are probably no longer ture
Old 03-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Mikeasis, That's not what I wanted to hear cause I can't afford the $50 per rod right now but it does make sense. If I remember right I put the rod caps on the rods they are on now cause they seemed to fit together best.. I will turn it with the spark plugs out tonight and update you guys. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

the rods would be ok if matched with their correct cap. i don't think you would need new rods just that mixing the caps/or installing them wrong could cause the issue your having
Old 03-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I was walking a guy on thru a econo rebuild last summer that had the same issue. I think it turned out he was using a foot pound torque wrench instead of a inch pound. and he didn't mark the rod caps!

May as well take it apart now. don't think it will live long if its that tight! When it locks up its going to cost you more.

When building any engine always rotate engine after every rod is installed so you know where the issue is if you have one.

All your parts may be good now. just pull rod caps and rotate engine to make sure the rods are the issue. reinstall rod caps one at a time and rotate till it turns free!

Good luck
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Gearhead... That's what I did, maybe I was using ftlbs... It seemed way too tight, so before I put the motor back together I backed them all off some until it turned better. I went out last night and I was able to turn the motor by hand, it didn't turn easy but I was at least able to turn it by hand. I am thinking the first time I tried turning it by hand a few days ago and couldn't was because that was the first time I tried turning it after sitting all winter so she was a little cold. I think part of my issue is a weak starter also. The brushes looked fine so I just ordered a new starter and Solenoid right away to rule those out. They should arrive mid next week and I will post another update after install.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My memory SUCKS! The proper torque on the rod bolts is 12-14 FOOT LB's

I questioned my memory after I said inch lbs and had to go check, sorry
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO