lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
paulss
Getting Wild

Default Marathon gas questions

A friend just called me and he's acquired an EZGO Marathon (?) with a 2 cycle gas engine. He has no use for it and has offered it to me for $600.

The problem is I know nothing about gas carts, especially 2 cycle carts. He says it runs and stops fine but it may have a muffler leak and might need a tune up. He doesn't have any info other than what the guy he got it from told him - Marathon 2 cycle. Are there any things I need to be looking at or problem areas associated with these carts? How do the 2 cycles compare to 4 cycles? I guess what I'm trying to do is not buy a pig in a poke that turns into a money pit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
paulss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
SouthCentral
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon gas questions

just my opinion and probably stating the obvious, but i would definately see it run and stop before you hand over any money. I cant speak for the exhaust leak but i know the exhuasts for any of these golf carts are expensive if you need to replace it. Id check to see if its actually a leak or if its just not bolted tightly to the motor, or if possibly the gaskets are gone/ failed.

If you can get the ID info from your friend and post it here. someone on here could tell you the year youre looking at and possibly give you more specific info. There should be a rivited tag most likely in the passenger front/ glove box area. (search these forums for IDing a golf cart or how to know what year, etc.)
SouthCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

Sounds like a far deal if it is not all banged up. I purchased a non running 91. Rebuilt engine with long block, added seat covers customized rear seat system, Led tail lights new Jakes lift with new 22" tires and 10" alum wheels, new drive clutch and high torque spring kit for driven clutch plus minor parts. My total so far is less than $2000 and that beats what it cost to buy a ready to drive cart and you know what you have also. You may not even have to do a total rebuild if it only needs jug and piston kit.
You can look around the web and locals for deals on parts.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
branman1971
Getting Wild

Club Car

Hey PaulSS, I have the same cart and I have learned a TON of stuff in the process of fixing my $200 Marathon. I have a grand total of $220 into her now and she is running really good, just don't look too good. LOL...Mine had an exhaust leak alright. The exhaust manifold studs were stripped, so the exhaust wasn't even connected. The muffler had a few holes in it too and was so full of oil I could fumigate the neighborhood for mosquito's when I cruised it. I replaced the studs, made a gasket for the exhaust mount, and welded up the holes in the muffler. Easy...I can help you out if you end up getting it and we aren't that far apart too.

I'm in La Vernia, TX.
Brandon
branman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO