lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #101
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Vc 460

That is awesome! Can't wait to get wrenching on mine still a couple projects in the way. Need to order a few gaskets this weekend. I wondered if the cam would have much more power or just have more rpm on the top end.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #102
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It wakes up the whole rpm band. But I haven't been past 4700 rpms yet so haven't really seen the top end but she's pulling hard when I lift. Used My Chevy's lift to get the buzz out of my Subaru's heat shield yesterday. Also did some welding on Suzi's rusted frame. But hopefully I can get some more driving time on Vicki in the next 4 days.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #103
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Mine dies off at around 4400 now, it goes higher but you can tell it has no beans there its just run out. It also was slower when I set the clutch to shift at 4100-4200 than 3900-4000 like it is now. So power dropping after 4K even with a ported and cut head, big carb, header into a car muffler, etc. I expect I can set the clutch back up higher with the cam, not really looking forward to pulling it off a dozen times again lol.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #104
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is pretty close to where I was with stock cam and the 1.3' s with the ported and milled head. she would pull hard to about 4500 and was still climbing at 5200 though not nearly as hard.Actually yesterday afternoon I did sneak in a quick blast up to 5000 rpms. When you look at the 2 cams side by side you can see the much larger duration. Also when you adjust the valves it is very obvious. P.S. Just remember you are going to have to really richen up your mixture. Mine would only run at all with the choke half closed with my old jetting.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #105
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Really? I figure it would change, but thats ok this 32mm will give all the fuel it needs! I went richer some but plenty of room for more. I had to take the washers off the needle it was plenty rich at low speed once I hogged the main a little so it would pull. I had to hog the clone carb a lot more it was far larger than stock. Maybe this cam will give the 32mm carb something to do lol, its much nicer running but no noticeable change in power putting it on there. But I half expected that. I really want to swap the stock clone cart to a 30mm CV (maybe smaller? And they're cheap) and this intake I made, slap HD springs in it, and I bet it would run/drive much nicer. That clone carb is just crude. If my new throttle cable hooks up right and I can make a couple more intakes I'll have all the stuff to do it. I know the stock clone is a 24mm intake spacer but I don't really know how big a CV would equal that. This 32mm is certainly larger and doubt its needed on a stock clone 420. Mostly family runs that cart.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #106
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Well I have the VC modified carb plus the EC adjustable main jet and it starts cold with no choke or pumping plus the throttle response is razor sharp. I have a CVK 30 sitting here all made up with a manifold and jetted up. But as the engine is running right now I am not going to bother with it.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #107
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Hey Aaron, Has anyone used the wilder cam and double valve springs with an adjustable timing billet flywheel in a golf cart ? I know the karters , minibikers , and pullers use these running them up to over 8000 rpms . Would it work in a golf cart ?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #108
AaronW
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Hey Aaron, Has anyone used the wilder cam and double valve springs with an adjustable timing billet flywheel in a golf cart ? I know the karters , minibikers , and pullers use these running them up to over 8000 rpms . Would it work in a golf cart ?
I'm sure someone has but they haven't talked about it. Golf carts are bit heavier which would make me think that is the only Con about the idea.

I think the idea that karters, minibikes, and pullers are competing and golf carts are for funnies makes it less attractive.

There is only 1 way to find out.

-Aaron
AaronW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #109
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If you build it they will come. Decided to go out to play this afternoon. I now have 5.2 hours on the new set up. I got to make the trash and gas run tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #110
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Mine worked ok but still needed to go richer at WOT. When I did it was too rich at 10mph steady I had to get another jet and made it smaller to keep it from missing at low speed. Maybe the VC carb is different I don't know, but this CV is much nicer throttling.

I'm sure you could build it up, you would need the clutch to rev much more for a high rpm engine. Usually gets to the point where its not daily use reliable there is always something needing attention. I thought about more cam if I was going to put one in, but I don't want to mess with it I want to put it in and not touch it for years. If it was a mostly trail only cart I would think harder about it, but I use this for all kinds of things it needs to run all the time and run nicely for all uses. I saw the torque cams at NR lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps