lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #91
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 muffler BBQ; Hot Pics!

I wouldnt fry the "senzor". Heat the fitting a little,then wd40, repeat, then try to remove it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 AM   #92
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It looks like in some of the pics people left it on
blizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #93
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm doing mine right now. Hot as hell but no flames coming out of it, just a bunch of smoke. Is that normal or must there be flames?
blizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #94
dbrick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I wouldnt fry the "senzor". Heat the fitting a little,then wd40, repeat, then try to remove it.
I left mine on, is it anything more than a hose fitting? so after a good hour in a firepit with oak pallet wood, smoke from the pipes, but no flames. Not hot enough?
dbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #95
1946J3Cub
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Not only am I a newbie to the BGW forums I don't even own a cart yet. My original posts and queries were concerning the G1 cart because that's the machine I'm leaning toward. So, I'm reading and learning as much as much as I can about G1s.

No doubt this is a seriously dumb question but instead of BBQing mufflers could they somehow be chemically cleaned instead? Could something like oven cleaner, or acetone, brake cleaner or gasoline or some solvent dislodge the crud? What I know about metallurgy is nil but does BBQing shorten the life of the muffler? Is there some kind of immersion technique that might achieve the desired result?

Forty plus years ago when I was in college I worked one summer in a dye house. There was a seriously super solvent they used called roll cleaner. We used it to clean the dye chemicals and crud from the tanks, drums, lines and rollers. I've no idea what the stuff was but I took a couple quarts of it to clean engine parts with impressive results.

A British friend of mine, when he postulates something that may sound stupid says, "OK, now I'll make a dash for the door." On the strength of his advice I'll now dash for the door.

Best Regards,

Tom
1946J3Cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #96
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sure, a chemical version might yield good results, but I think the BBQ method is so popular because everyone has access to fire, and it works. I have never seen any troubles with the fire method causing problems with the metal. I look at it this way, that muffler has already been exposed to 30+ years of thermal cycling, what's one big cycle gonna hurt?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #97
Gravesdiesel
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have seen some post about a "performance muffler" for the G1. Where is that available from?
I have two G1s and the muffler designs are slightly different. One has the "shutter" in the exhaust inlet and the other does not. The one that does not also has a crossover pipe on the main muffler housing. It is different from the other G1s I have owned (four to date). I need to double check my serial numbers, but I believe one to be a 1979 or 80 and the other is a 1981. The fwd/reverse solenoids are totally different on the two carts also.
Gravesdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #98
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i think its plowmans that offers the performance pipe.

I'm pretty sure the odd pipe you speak of is on an 82 g1. That is the only year i have seen with that pipe. The frame and engine serial number will start with J17. Lower compression engine but still a good little motor.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #99
ssambor
Not Yet Wild

i just got out my spare muffler i pulled from a G1 i scrapped. decided to BBQ it, tried to do the heat gun method but i couldnt get much to happen. so i decided to really BBQ it...i tossed it in my burn barrel and started a fire around it. its been going for awhile now. ill just keep tossing wood and letting it go overnight.. see how it is in the morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180506_121409.jpg (520.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180506_121522.jpg (371.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180506_135854.jpg (363.3 KB, 0 views)
ssambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #100
ssambor
Not Yet Wild

not sure if i did it right or not....i had it on the heat gun, i had it in the fire.... i took it out after like 3-4 hours of cooking.... blew some air through it and then put the heat gun back on it and it started smoking again! while its still warm, i took a rubber mallet and smacked it all around and gently bumped it on the ground as well.. lots of bits came out but not sure if i did it right or not... what is the "correct" way to do it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180506_181242_resized.jpg (164.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180506_181248_resized.jpg (139.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ssambor; 05-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: added pictures
ssambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha