lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Gasser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Digital Voltage Meter

Ok dumb question, with a digital voltage gage what voltage should I start heading back to put cart back on charger?
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Digital Voltage Meter

That depends upon how big and long is the hill between you and the charger

Seriously, the cart should be back on the charger at no less than 36.0v = see the chart below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC-new-print-003.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Gasser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

South Texas so nothing but flat flat land here. So 36v is about 50% charge or half tank etc? Or is this considered empty(in terms of a gas tank)? Is there harm in running the batteries below 36.0v? Sorry just trying to learn here.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

50% capacity is EMPTY.
Deeper discharges will diminish the batteries capacity to hold a charge.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Gasser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok thanks. Got it...Thanks scotty fairly new here, but your always on top of things. Much appreciated!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've been wondering the same thing since installing new batteries. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the state of charge chart voltages are "in play" while under load, as the chart reflects "rested" battery voltages. I have noticed that the "under load" voltage of my new batteries hovers around 35-36 volts and falling. I also believe that the batteries' internal resistance will increase as they run down, causing this "under load" voltage to be lower and lower. So my question is, at what loaded voltage should I/we be heading back to the charger?? Thanks - RAY.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
manwitaplan
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm tuned in Ray. I just had this exact conversation yesterday with my friend.

Let's hope we get a reply
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't have an answer that fits neatly on a graft for that question. There are as many variables in an 'under power' load test as there colors of carts. While under power load draw down is a good indication of the state of charge every aspect of the cart modification and the terrain and the loads on board effect how much the voltage reading will drop when you press the gas.
The SOC readings at rest given on chart chart are universal. Typical operating loads should not exceed a 5v drop. But as soon as I post this somebody will say their cart pulls down 6v on full batteries and ????
So again, bigger tires, steeper hill, softer ground, tighter brakes, bigger driver, it all adds up to more load. So the loads you guys are putting on these carts vary alot from one to another and so do the results. Sorry I can't be any more help on this.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
manwitaplan
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty that was a perfect explanation. I did not consider all the variables that you mentioned. I was just curious of what the drop should be under load.

Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.

Manwitaplan
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info. Scotty, and also making me think. I can understand what you are saying, that the loaded voltage is dependent pretty much on how much current is being drawn from the batteries (more current less terminal voltage) and not all carts are exactly the same due to all the various mods. possible. In fact, after thinking more about it, I probably have two sets of voltage numbers for my PDS cart as I have a switch to select between "mild hill" and "freedom" modes. As long as my batteries are new, I will be noting my "loaded" voltages as a benchmark and keep them for my future reference. Thanks again - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO