lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
jeketchum
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Smile 72' Harley Golf Cart Engine Upgrade Suggestions?

We just purchased a 72' Harley Golf Cart with a 2 stroke engine. The standard nature of a 2 stroke engine is not exactly what will work to cruise around our neighborhood and the Country Club. It's just a bit too smokey and loud, however, we LOVE the vintage cart and are wondering if there were suggestions of engine replacement options. Will a 4 stroke engine be any better? What have others done to modify their 2 stroke carts to something better? Thank you so much!!
jeketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 72' Harley Golf Cart Engine Upgrade Suggestions?

to BGW

Hey I love my Harley, but you're in the electric Club Car section of the forum. A mod will be along shortly to move this thread to the gas HD section...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

In a nutshell, no can do. Unless you do an outrageous amount of customizations / modifications you won't be able to match up a non-HD engine with the HD frame / drive system. That would be like dropping a Ford engine into a Chevy. Just isn't going to happen without radical modifications.

Really, if your cart is that loud and smoky there is something wrong with it. One of my HDs has been completely rebuilt with new crank bearings and such. It is so quiet that people can't believe it's a two stroke. I have another one that hasn't been completely rebuilt (yet) and it's loud. I love it though. Call me nuts but I think it adds to the charm.

An option you may want to consider is a general noise reduction solution as described here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...fler-wrap.html

and this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...reduction.html

I was considering doing something like this but, again, I have come to somewhat appreciate the noise. It's what these old carts are.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have a 1974 and a 1976 HD cart and they don't smoke much. Usually not noticeable. Are you using good oil and not too much of it? I use Walmart's Supertech with good results. 1 1/2 oz. per gallon of regular unleaded gas.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
jeketchum
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the mixture of gas to water that you use? I am thinking that maybe a solid rebuild of the 2 stroke is the way to go!
jeketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

85:1 1.5 oz per gallon.

I'm sure the insulation will help but I don't think these will ever be considered quiet.

Harley did make electric carts. They didn't seem to be as common but you still see them from time to time. Bet it would be fairly easy to update one of those to modern electronic controls to get a little more range out of em.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

You are esaclty right 73eldo, they made sparkles, but they seem to be few and far between. I like mine, it's as quiet as a church mouse...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson